• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fire lens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my wife put a small goldfish bowl on a shelf on a pine-paneled wall. sitting there reading i could smell burning. sure enough, about a four inch long and half inch wide strip of charred wood was arking across the paneling. oh, the wonders of refraction.

take care, daniel

To Wick and Tan
Tan if twisting a loop from grass and catching an orb of water to focus the suns rays could start a fire, that would leave open the theory that morning dew could potentially start a fire. Is this correct?
Tan,"fire from ice" I heard of this first in a movie with Anthony Hopkins. You are quoted as saying you have seen it done yourself. I do not completely doubt it and your experience encourages me to look into it more.
Fire from ice, truly amazing. The principle is seemingly sound, the practicle leaves me thinking "I have to see this with my own eyes"
Jet90

I rather doubt morning dew could start a fire, as dew equals wet.

I saw Wes Straub (sp) on Survivor use the bottom of a Coke can as a reflector to start a fire, he was amazed it worked.

Tan
Being too wet for fire from dew drops is where I was headed with my question. Your comments have peaked my interest on this subject and I have decided,It would be a very ambitious personal challenge to find how many ways I could start a fire.As far as traditional methods, I have used a magnifying glass, flint and steel and a bow drill. I am going to look into others. By the way, My family and I enjoyed hot dogs and "smores" over a camp fire we started with our strike a lite this evening. We were sent home early because it began to rain,but it all just tastes better over an open fire.
I have enjoyed the thought I have put into this subject. Thank you both for bringing it up.
Jet90

Back