• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fired my first muzzle loader!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello. I've been milking the forum the past few months on what flintlock rifle kit to get, how to build it and how to fire it. Well, today I went out to a buddy's and put we put a few rounds through it. It's a Traditions Kentucky rifle kit, and I think it turned out pretty well for a first effort. There was a little delay between the trigger and the blast, but once I figured that out I didn't have a problem. And we were trying light loads breaking the gun in and maybe more importantly breaking us in. I've got a few pictures up on my blog at[url] jderrickstar.blogspot.com[/url]. If you scroll down you'll find photos, columns and comments going all the way back to when I first got the kit. We shot some video firing it today and I'll get a link up on the blog soon. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
jderrick

Glad to hear you made some smoke! :)

There is a great satisfaction in building a gun and taking it out for the first time.
I know there's always a nagging little doubt until the first shot. After that, the real fun (and learning) begins.

You say there was a lag and I'm wondering, was it the lag between pulling the trigger and the pan flashing, or was it between the pan flashing and the main charge igniting?

John,
Great job on the gun! Good luck smoking it. It sounds to me that you will have a good time with it.
Craig

Looking at the video, which I'll post as soon as I can, it seems like there's a delay of a half-second or so -- "click, hiss, bang" it seems like the powder in the pan just takes a while to get to the main charge. Any thoughts?

Be sure to load the pan properly.
This basically means there should be just enough powder to cover the bottom of the pan. Also make sure it does not cover the touch hole (vent) at all.
Most people find that placing the majority of the powder away from the vent gives the best results.
It is also a good idea to run a paperclip into the vent right before priming to make sure it is open all the way into the main powder charge.

If the touch hole (vent) is covered with powder in the pan, the powder has to burn down to the vent. This takes time.
If the vent is left uncovered, the flame front from the exploding powder will pass thru the vent igniting the main charge in thousanths of a second. You will not notice any delay at all.

If you did not enlarge the vent hole in the barrel, it is probably about .050 diameter. This is smaller than it should be for quick ignition.
Try enlarging it with a 1/16 (.062) inch drill bit and try it.
Most Flintlock shooters shooting guns .45 or larger increase this vent hole size to 5/64 (.078)diameter.

Going larger than 5/64 speeds things up even more, but not without cost.
Larger than 5/64 allows (IMO) too much gas to escape and can hurt accuracy.
It also will allow some of the main powder charge to escape when ramming the ball.

I think if you enlarge the hole and make sure the pan is primed correctly all you will hear will be:
"click-hiBOOM"

jderrick said:
Thanks a lot for the advice! I've got that video up now. You can get there from my blog,[url] jderrickstar.blogspot.com[/url] or go straight to[url] www.shelbystar.com/video/December/flintlocklowres.wmv,[/url] Link. Thanks!

Great video jderrick, I remember fondly my first BP shot! So will you for a long time I am sure!

I would offer a couple of suggestions to you, if you do not mind, that were handed down to me from much experienced shooters, and have been of great assistance! I owe them all a debt of gratitude! And so I pass on a couple of their ideas to you ...

1) I did see not what kind of powder you were using ... but I suggest real Blackpowder if possible such as Goex 2f or 3f, rather than one of the synthetics.

2) If you do not have one ... get yourself a powder measure for loading, its much easier, as well as a cap for the blackpowder can that allows easier loading.

3) Also a priming horn or flask (brass or otherwise) for priming the pan. Much easeier and safer I think!

Last but by far not least ... the most important suggestion would be to locate an experienced BP shooter in your area and if possible learn as much as you can from them, not only knowledge .. but "hands on" experience! The learning curve will be much quicker and probably safer too!
I am still learning this game myself, and continue to do so with the help and guidance of good friends ... and the knowledge as well of this ML forum as well!

I sincerely hope the journey for you will be as rewarding as mine has been! :grin:

Davy

Each gun is different, so experiment with the amount of priming. Try just enough priming to cover the bottom of the pan, to enough powder to fill the pan without covering the touch hole.

Most people who fill the pan to just below the touch hole seem to have more reliable ingition.

How big is the touch hole? Small holes of about .062 are ok, but something closer to .070 seems to work better in most guns.

If you still experience hang fires after experimenting with the amount of priming, assuming that the touch hole is .062, drill it out to the next largest number drill size, which should be around .065. Shoot that for a while, then drill out to .068 if necessary, but only if necessary.
J.D.

:hmm: You may be loading your pan too full having powder in your touchhole creates a fuse.
This would slow your ignition as this powder burns off.

The trick to quick ignition is to create a ball of fire directly in front of a clear touchhole.
This provides a unimpeded flame directly to the main charge.

Also 3f or 4f Goex in the pan creates a quick fireball.

Good to see you using saftey gear best of all having fun.

I don't want to intrude, but I'm not too far from you up here in Salisbury, and if you'd like, would be willing to hook up and make some smoke with you and help you iron out the kinks. Shoot me a PM if that's something you'd like to do, and we'll set it up. I have a Lyman GPR, and a little Pedersoli flint pistol we can shoot too. I'm building a Chambers Lancaster, but it's not quite shootable yet.

:hatsoff:

Video looks good.

That was the longest delay I have ever seen. A pointer from me is get good black powder. GOEX is what I use, and if you use that you wouldn't even notice a delay compared to what you got. And once you get all the tools to load properly it will be a lot of fun.

I wish I had a place to shot, like you were shooting at.

I watched your vidio and there's no doubt about it. You really enjoyed shooting it! :)

It did remind me of my first Flintlock, right down to the delay. As there was no web in those days, I though it was normal for it to take that long to fire. Even so, it was absolutly great fun.

After I learned about priming the pan away from the flash hole, and enlarging the size of the hole to 5/32 I couldn't believe how fast it would fire.

If your watching your vidio, imagine it firing when you first see the start of the pan flash.
Like I said, Click-WhBOOM.
Although I think the Caplocks are faster, some Flintlock shooters maintain that a well primed Flintlock is as fast as a Caplock gun (which is about as fast as a modern rifle).

Enjoy!! :) :)

Zonie said:
I watched your vidio and there's no doubt about it. You really enjoyed shooting it! :)

It did remind me of my first Flintlock, right down to the delay. As there was no web in those days, I though it was normal for it to take that long to fire. Even so, it was absolutly great fun.

After I learned about priming the pan away from the flash hole, and enlarging the size of the hole to 5/32 I couldn't believe how fast it would fire.

If your watching your vidio, imagine it firing when you first see the start of the pan flash.
Like I said, Click-WhBOOM.
Although I think the Caplocks are faster, some Flintlock shooters maintain that a well primed Flintlock is as fast as a Caplock gun (which is about as fast as a modern rifle).

Enjoy!! :) :)

Uhh Zonie .. please tell me you meant 5/64 instead of 5/32 for the touch hole size! :hmm:

Davy

Zonie said:
Well, 5/32 (.156) would make it fast I say!! :grin:

Yes, I meant 5/64 (.078) diameter. :redface: :redface:

Mitey damn fast, quick, and ina hurry! :grin: Shootin out from two angles ... right AND out front! I pity tha fool sittin next to ya with thet hardware! :shocked2:

Davy

Latest posts

Back