• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Firing a Flintlock upside down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
".....When a Flintlock sucessfully fires while being held upside down, it indicates it's a quality, well tuned lock....."

True or False?

don't if it is fact or fiction,but I have an old CVA that will do it consistanly. Have had it for about 35 years.

TTC

We used to do public shooting demonstrations for the pilgrims and it was a great crown pleaser. A well tuned lock is ALWAYS a plus for any type of shooting not just a few simple trick shots.
The aiming point by the way is exactly the same at 25 & 50 yards, but we shot at 25 yards or less.

Roundball,
My little Lyman Deerstalker with the L&R Lock will shoot upside down all day long.I'm not sure of the quality of the lock but it is tuned good IMHO
It's not very accurate though,Might have something to do with the twist or something. :shake:

Halftail said:
Roundball,
My little Lyman Deerstalker with the L&R Lock will shoot upside down all day long.I'm not sure of the quality of the lock but it is tuned good IMHO
It's not very accurate though,Might have something to do with the twist or something. :shake:
:rotf:

My T/C hawken flintlock does this 12 out or 12 times.......I have read that this was a common test of a "quality" lock in the old days; to be honest, I was shocked when my good flintlocks fired just as reliably inverted as right-side up...

I used to win the occasional local club match shooting a flintlock upside down...really pee'd off alot of folks that way. :rotf:

Well, since fire is lighter then air and will travel up it stands to reason that the flash from a flintlock that's upside down would still shoot.

TN.Frank said:
Well, since fire is lighter then air and will travel up it stands to reason that the flash from a flintlock that's upside down would still shoot.

:hmm: :hmm:...but that statement would have the fire rising "up away" from the vent...the vent would be down below the pan with the rifle upside down, wouldn't it?
:winking:

Seems like lock/frizzen speed would be the key in order to touch off the priming powder before it just falls out and blackens yer mokkersins :blah:

roundball said:
TN.Frank said:

:hmm: :hmm:...but that statement would have the fire rising "up away" from the vent...the vent would be down below the pan with the rifle upside down, wouldn't it?

Actually, the vent would still be on the side of the pan. If you fire the gun with the lock pointing down then the vent would be pointing down but if you turned the entire gun over so the sights were pointing toward the ground then the vent would still be on the side, same as it'd be shooting it right side up. Now if you turned the gun 90 deg. to the right(if it's a right handed gun) then the vent would be pointing down. Either way a good flintlock should get the flash from the pan into the touch hole no matter where the hole was. :blah:

TN.Frank said:
roundball said:
TN.Frank said:

Actually, the vent would still be on the side of the pan. If you fire the gun with the lock pointing down then the vent would be pointing down but if you turned the entire gun over so the sights were pointing toward the ground then the vent would still be on the side, same as it'd be shooting it right side up. Now if you turned the gun 90 deg. to the right(if it's a right handed gun) then the vent would be pointing down. Either way a good flintlock should get the flash from the pan into the touch hole no matter where the hole was. :blah:
Actually we weren't talking about which side of the pan the vent was on...of course it would still be where it always was in relation to the pan...he had made a comment about flame rising and I was responding to that.

All this is really immaterial...it was a light-hearted post...I've never heard of a flintlock that WOULDN'T fire upside down.

:grin:

roundball said:
".....When a Flintlock sucessfully fires while being held upside down, it indicates it's a quality, well tuned lock....."

upsidedownanswer2.jpg

Back