• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Firing a Flintlock upside down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, think about it all them guys in New Zealand, and Austrailia are firing they're Flintlocks upside down all the time with no problems :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Bill

I didn't believe it until I started using real black powder.

True. Both my flintlocks will fire upside down. Of course, seeing as there is no reason you should EVER need to fire a ball from your rifle whilst holding the firearm upside down seeing as how it's generally considered an unsafe condition holding your firearm incorrectly :nono: , if you wish to do this, and would like to do it safely, there is no need to use a projectile. Just use a blank.

I'm not sure though if this demonstrates either perfect tuning of your rifle.... or.... just the amazing speed at which black powder burns.

We used to use this as a tie breaker in a rifle frolic. I'd strongly advise using about a half of a normal charge if you are really firing the gun. The wrist on the stock doesn't give as good a grip to an upside down hold. A full charge can be a reason for stitches with the recoil.
Two Trails

roundball said:
".....When a Flintlock sucessfully fires while being held upside down, it indicates it's a quality, well tuned lock....."

True or False?

False. Just another one of the coutless wivestales associated with muzzleloaders IMO.

Cody

"A shooter who sucessfully fires a flintlock while HE is upside down and hits his target, indicates a quality well tuned flintlock, as well as a damn good shot"! :rotf:

underham.jpg

Durs Eggs son Joseph used to make them upside down and waterproof :thumbsup:

Squire Robin said:
Durs Eggs son Joseph used to make them upside down and waterproof :thumbsup:

And inside out :grin: . Am I reading that photo correctly?, are the tumbler and frizzen driven from the same spring?.

Cody

Cody said:
roundball said:
".....When a Flintlock sucessfully fires while being held upside down, it indicates it's a quality, well tuned lock....."

True or False?

False. Just another one of the coutless wivestales associated with muzzleloaders IMO.

Cody

Actually, when upside down, when the pan starts to open the powder will fall out directly into the spark and give better ignition. When we bench test a tuned lock at the shop we will turn it over sideways and strike it, in this manner the powder will be falling away from the spark instead of into it. If you can get consistant ignition from fireing it on it's side you will realy have a winner.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Toomuch_36 said:
Cody said:
roundball said:

True or False?

Cody

Actually, when upside down, when the pan starts to open the powder will fall out directly into the spark and give better ignition.
Toomuch
Shoot Flint

:thumbsup: pretty much. The story that it "indicates a quality well tuned lock" is, IMO rubbish.

Cody

Shooting a flintlock upside down just proves you didn't forget to put the frizzen spring back in the lock before you primed the gun! :rotf:

Back