• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Firing results for the “Pin Ball Machine” Mortar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich44

58 Caliber
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I call it the Pin Ball Machine Mortar because the size is the same as those steel balls used in the pin ball machines.

Having a full size Mortar would sure be a lot of fun, but let’s see. I would probably have trouble moving one by myself. Do not have a place to fire it or have the money to feed it. But if you can live with a smaller model mortar of maybe 1/6 size, well it opens the door for some experiments and fun in shooting and understanding of range correction. Will admit if that piece of metal had been larger a Golf Ball size Mortar would be ideal.

I do not have a crony, so having knowledge of what the velocity is would be nice to know. Sometimes if enough information is given a ballistic formula might fill in the missing information. Have a very short video showing the 3 different shot loads being fired and will give details.

M.jpg

The barrel of the mortar was set at 55 degrees from horizontal (instead of the more normal 45 degrees) to help keep the landing zone closer, for all shots.

Special wooden/steel shot with a ribbon attached was used on shot 1 and shot 2.
All wooden projectiles were found after firing.

Proj.jpg

Shot 1 = 25 gr. 3f powder with 1.2 ounce projectile and landed 55 yards from firing point. Have no idea how high as was unable to see. Mild bang and low recoil.

Shot 2 = 50 gr. 3f powder with 1.2 ounce projectile and landed 80yards from firing point. Have no idea how high as again was unable to see. A solid bang and slight more recoil. Give me 2 points for having the patch return.

Shot 3 = 50 gr. 3f powder with 2.85 ounce steel ball (1.062 dia.) projectile and landed I hope by now. Have no idea how high or far (over 100 yds.) as again was unable to see. Very sharp bang and much more recoil.

Is there any chance with the given information, that the height of the projectile can be determined and or the speed in fps? Or a good guess? We have weight, angle and distance.

From research of other people firing golf ball type mortars they are getting 200 - 300 fps.

I am amazed at the lack of flame coming out the vent hole. With the smaller powder chamber and large short bore the pressure just does not build up as much as a cannon length barrel.

3a.jpg

Back