• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Firing trouble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all the years I've been shooting MLs, shooting out a ramrod is the ONE thing I've managed to escape.

I've done it, and more than once. Most recent repetition was at a Boulder Rifle Club "cut the stake" fun match where teams fired in rotation. The team that cuts their stake in two with the least number of rounds wins. Things got down to where our stake was hanging by a splinter. My dry ball was ruled to be a shot, and the next shot by the other team finished off their stake. The next month when it got down to the same point two guys supervised my loading.......

White Fox

I've dryballed before but I was alone on the range when I did so I guess it never happened right? The real reason however that I replied was this:

"This and 50 cents used to buy you a Coke."

Ya mean I can't get one for 6 cents anymore? Come on guys, next you'll try to tell me DuPont doesn't make powder anymore and it costs more than $.98 a pound.

I have an ink mark at no charge and one at 75grFF. My first ramrod I had a notch at full load. That is where it broke.

Fitting a breech plug is not easy so some companies torque with a 3000# wrench. I do it different and use a brass washer at the seal point. I thin it as needed to seal the bore as the flats get fit. To fool with the back of the barrel to make the plug fit both the flats and seat to the bore is just too hard. The washer does not have a hole in it but I have no other name except shim.
Dry balling has bit me more then once. It is distraction when a friend babbles. Joe never shuts up. Everything he does is good and he says "you know" a million times. He gets at me for no powder but he did it too.

Latest posts

Back