• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmccarver

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Got my first bear a few weeks ago in CO. Shot it with a .54 Renegade. My friend also filled his bear tag with his .50 Hawken.
1rzP5M2

Congrats, that's a nice bear! :hatsoff:

Did you use a ball or conical?

The story is that we drew mule deer buck tags for muzzleloader season. We decided to buy over-the-counter bear tags because we have seen bear in there on past elk hunts. 2 days of scouting and there was a ton of bear sign.

My friend got his bear (~400 lbs) on day 4. He was easing down a drainage with a tiny flowing stream. He was seeing very fresh sign and then noticed the bear ahead of him moving down the same drainage. He took a 50 yd offhand shot, and the bear expired after a terrifying display.

I had noticed fresh bear tracks in a water hole 2 out of 3 consecutive days. I hunted that water hole on the 5th day and my bear (~250 lbs) came in right before dark. I made a propped shot at about 110 yds. The bear just rolled over and moaned. That was it. I used a conical that I had cast. Thought that was neat.

We were not able to get mule deer. The bears were ~8000ft and the nice mule deer bucks were ~10000ft. For us that meant we had to choose 1 tag to focus on.

Sounds like a great trip and a nice pair of bear. Look at those paws. And 110 yards... Excellent! I don't think I could've made that shot.

Big looking head on that bruin. I'm glad you two didn't strike out. Good call buying the bear tags.

I've shot many deer with home-cast Maxi-balls for my .50 and they usually fell right there but never shot a bear with a muzzle loader.

Congratulations. :hatsoff:

Back