• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First blood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still experimenting and not settled on a load but knew that what I had worked out was fine to 25 yards and probably to 30. I use a Colerain turkey choke barrel and shot the bird at 25 yards. The load was 90 grains of FFg, two thin wonderlube type of wads, 105 grains of #6 shot and two thin overpowder cards.

I had used a few different loads and wasn't happy with them but I had been using the thick fiber wads and found that they blow my pattern, like many other folks here have discovered. The two thinner lubed wads work much better but I haven't yet really experimented with them much. I think I'm going to back my powder charge down to 80 grains for my next field trial and probably experiment between 80 and 110 grains (volumetric) of #6 shot. I'd also like to get my hands on some copper plated #6s but for now I'm using straight lead.

Save me a wing? On second thoughts, just saw your profile name, you can have it. :wink: Congrats, wish we had em.

Back