• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First BP Cow elk!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My nephew and Buddy have been hunting the Colorado Muzzleloader season. I usually go with them but was unable to make the trip work this year.

My nephew shot this pig of a cow with his custom, by him, .50 caliber bobcat! The knife he also made from a kit his kids bought for him for Christmas!

Pats%20Cow%202016_zps0lvdb7zm.jpg
[/URL][/img]

He just sent me a message that at the butcher, 172 pounds of meat de-boned and not including the backstraps and tenderloins!!

Carne%202016_zpsrkjecwm8.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Did I say it was a Pig of a Cow!

Not sure what load he was shooting I do know it was Roundball and Black powder!

One shot, quartering toward him, cow used momentum of hill to run about 30 yards before pilling up right in front of him!!

Congratulations on making meat!!! Hope our buddy gets something for the freezer too!!

Congrats to him! :hatsoff:

That is a fat cow! Should be good eating. That's the nicest looking Bobcat I've seen. Beautiful stock on it!

He restocked it. I forged the buttplate and trigger guard for him. He did a great job! Gave him the itch! He's got all the parts to build a flintlock! Now it's just finding a the time!

Good work to both of you! It turned out nice. Look forward to seeing the flintlock when he finishes it.

That's definitely a fine cow elk and should make great meals. He did a good job on that Bobcat and made it look really nice.

I've got an ugly old Bobcat with a plastic stock that's front heavy. It's a far cry from his beauty.

I wish I had a cow like that too. Congrats to him.

So My nephew had only been hunting about 45 min, still hunting out from camp. A group of 6 cows came trotting over the hill towards him. He pulled up the rifle and put the sights on one of the cows and followed her until she slowed to a stop and squeezed the trigger! the Bobcat did its job! He figured it was between a 40 and 50 yard shot. The group ran about 30 yards and his cow dropped down hill from his position. The other elk milled around confused before trotting off.

He was shooting 80 grains of Goex FFF and a .490 roundball. The ball retained 100% of its weight and grew to .590 diameter and expelled all it energy within the animal, taking out both lungs and the top of the heart. RB recovered under the skin on the far side. I don't believe it went through any shoulder only ribs and sternum See recovered RB next to unfired RB!

IMG_0383_zps2uzu3ofa.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Latest posts

Back