• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First build so far

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruzer1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought I would share my journey here of my first build and how it is going.

I joined the forum a few years ago.  At that time, I was just looking to build a quick kit gun and look for tips.   In comes our “Tinker2” who was kind enough to take me under wing and meet up face to face to help me. He encouraged me to push myself beyond the kits to from scratch building.

So what did I do in the last few years?  I researched- a lot (well I was also busy with a move, wife, young kids, a career, and community service....).   At first I was unsure about what time period to go with.  I finally settled with 16th century Spain.  I am already a reenactor of that era studying sword fighting and other aspects of that period. Even though my reenactment group is anti-gun, I thought it would a good place to build since I am intrigued by that time. Also quite frankly I really don’t see a lot of people making firearms from that period/location and preferred to be a bit different. :grin:

One of my biggest hurdles was a place to build. I had a small basement workshop, but I spent most of the last year remodeling my garage into a workshop.  I built a storage loft, insulated the main floor and learned drywall.  Adding in a woodstove, propane heater, and air conditioner has given me a place to work year round.
20161012_184853_zpsjbmwnrya.jpg

Under Tinker2’s guidance I learned to use a metal lathe.   Although there are commercial barrels that work for 16th century I wanted to make a unique one not on the “market”.  With some help I made my first barrel.  I had so much fun I now own my own lathe. Maybe if there is interest down the line I might sell 16th century profiles.

I have been slow to learn woodcarving for my stock.   Looking at the expert craftsmanship, I was afraid of messing up.  Last month after chipping away at a barrel channel for a year I dove in.   To my surprise I enjoy woodcarving and it was not as hard as I feared.  But I am going slow and learning from my mistakes.

This has been an interesting journey.  I was never great with woodworking or tools as a kid.  Funny thing is in life not being good at something initially is not necessarily a stopping point.   Perhaps I will never create the fine works I see here but I am having tons of fun trying and learning all the same.

Lastly I think Tinker2 has created a monster.  I just LOVE this hobby.  So far I have enjoyed every aspect of it.   In fact, I am gathering up supplies for four more projects staying in my time period.

So here are a few pics of where I am at.  Any advice or tips on improving my build is appreciated.  While Tinker2 helps me on many aspects he is a 100 miles away so much of this I am just making up/figuring out as I go.    Thanks again everyone here for the help!
IMG_20161221_170259_zpskm7p7i9r.jpg
IMG_20161221_170333_zpsnwakaamb.jpg
IMG_20161221_170351_zpswmoqf7rl.jpg
IMG_20161221_170421_zpsnohcf0s9.jpg

Wow,
talk about jumping in with both feet, and all the rest!

That is impressive. You didn't exactly pick the easy route, did you?
I love it. Did you fabricate the lock mechanism and the serpentine arm?

I have friends like you. First try at something new, they succeed. Drives me nuts.

I couldn't begin to comment on that style of gun, so I will just say, well done so far.
Can't wait to see the progress.

Cheers,
Chowmi

Thanks for the compliments. I am still learning a lot but giving it my all and having fun.

Originally I was going to build my own action but this one came for sale and I could not pass it up. I guess after researching for cover five years I was anxious to get it done. Action was built by Michael Oharrow who does work for Pirate Fashions. Barrel and stock work are all me though.

lol... Anyway thought it might be nice to show the original I am basing mine on from 1500-1525 era.
IMG_20140831_103156_zpsgl2lk1t_edit_1409499377602_zpsxtwwd03d.jpg

One more thing... I could not get a good picture of that gun's barrel or really any Spanish guns of that period. I did the next best thing and looked at German ones since they were unified for much of the century.

Here is a link for a German gun of that time period. I based my barrel on it. Link

An update... Just progressing on the shaping. Early 16th century guns are fairly "clunky" compared to most of the later guns. But despite that there are the beginning of stylistic lines.

I am not done shaping but here are few pics. Most of this is done with a rasp butbthen contouring the angles to be similar to the original.

For the top I did not have a good picture so I modeled a petronel from the time and had the lines flow off the breech plug.

Well slow but sure it is coming along... Time to work on the friend next :grin:
IMG_20161227_080044_zpsmmtr7kcg.jpg
IMG_20161227_080059_zps7ufnwfwd.jpg
IMG_20161227_080123_zpsadgi1adz.jpg

i`ll be following this one. is the barrel made from scratch or one turned down from an existing barrel?

I had that same Atlas lathe, it looks like a 10" as mine was. I got mine from a Vo-Tech school which came from the US government (war surplus) it's a good lathe if you don't over work it. I sold it and now have a 12" X 36" Jet which has a 2-1/2 inch hole through the headstock.

Shaping done, sights dine and all parts were put together and work. :grin :grin:

Now going to work on finishing f2fthis weekend. I plan to make my own dragons blood stain after I apply aqua fortis.
20170117_195448_zpsgeruucye.jpg
20170117_195448_zpsgeruucye_edit_1484704931624_zps1jcnpdjo.jpg

I'm late to this, but just wanted to say I enjoyed your post. Your beginning in this hobby sounds a lot like mine... lots of research and preparation upfront, struggling to find the time it really takes to develop the required skills amidst work, family, and life's many other demands.

I think you made a great point that not being good at something is no reason to quit. That is an excellent attitude to have with anything in life. It is amazing the capabilities we sometimes discover in ourselves after a little perseverance.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and good luck with your build. Many of us know exactly what the feels like to become obsessed with this hobby.

Well it is finally done! Plenty of mistakes but overall pretty happy with my first build.
20170201_193207_zpsb2zymvhg_edit_1485999452693_zpso4uoxijg.jpg
20170201_193217_zpsngdn6icl.jpg
20170201_193331_zpsvx7nexc4_edit_1485999921634_zpsswf1m4rl.jpg
20170201_193232_zpsv4y4di5a.jpg

This is a really cool gun, and a whopper of a first project. You also did it in what appears to be record time. Not to pick nits too much, but is there a reason you left a flat spot in the tang behind the breech? Was the original done that way, as a supposed aid to sighting?

Latest posts

Back