• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Build.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquirrelFlinter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I am all but done with my Chambers Smooth rifle 20 ga. This was my first real build(TC Hawken was first). And I really learned a lot. I finished with ferric acid and tung oil.

Some of the mistakes:

Tigger pin came out below the side plate.(get drill with level)

Could of fit the barrel better.(used bedding to make fit)

Inletting a little rough and had a few gaps.(take my time)

Trigger guard moved foward as inletting.(read it would happen and still didn't start a little short)

Missed a spot and had 2 or 3 light spots in stain.(make sure I have more time to do stain and apply more than 1 coat.)

All in all it was a great experience and can't wait till winter to do it again. My wife told me to get a hobby and I did. So let me know what you think and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
DSC01066.jpg
DSC01067.jpg
DSC01068.jpg
DSC01074.jpg
DSC01078.jpg
DSC01075.jpg
DSC01076.jpg
DSC01077.jpg

Really nice job! No Great job!!
Keep up the good work, now build another, and another, and another, and another. You get my drift

Craig :thumbsup:

"My wife told me to get a hobby"
Buy her flowers, take her to dinner, ya got a keeper. Oh yeah, nice job on the rifle. Bill

Very Good Job! My first is a Underhammer. Which is simpler then what you did and if it turns out half as good as yours ill be thrilled.

Looks very nice. There will always be things you would like to have done differently.

For your next one you might want to thin the lock pannels a little more. Make a smoother transition on the left side of the barrel. I noticed a step there. Aligning the screw slots with the long axis of the rifle is always a nice touch. Also blending the butt plate into the brass piece on the patch box should be considered. Perhaps it is just the photo but it looks like there is a step there as well.

I know this sounds picky but it is not meant in any way but to be helpful. Overall I would say you did a beutiful job to be proud of. It shows you did take your time. The important part is that you have a fine gun, had fun, learned alot, and want to learn more. I am working on my 12th and still find things I want to do differently or would have like to have come out different.

Thanks for the inputs. 54JNoll you are right about the patch box. It does have a slight step. As far as the lock Panels how close would you get to the lockplate? I will work on the screw slots also. I never even thought about that.

Also I see I said I finished with ferric acid that is a typo it should be ferric nitrate.

I should get my wife some flowers, everytime I said I needed a new tool to finish the gun and we were a little short on money that week. She would tell me to get it and we will just stay home for the weekend. She was very supportive.

Thanks again

very nice!!! what or how did you finish the stock to cause the curl to come out the way it did? i just finished one and i couldn't get the curl pulled out as well as you did. :thumbsup:

Well, I'm impressed. Very nice job. I'm just about ready to take the plunge and purchase the parts necessary to build a fusil de chasse. Appreciate your sharing your experience.

Terrific!! :hatsoff: Thanks for the pics too..I learned from your work!! Wow. Chambers provided a beautiful piece of wood!! Get her to the range soon!!

Sweet. That is gonna be one heck of a versatile long gun. Good for everything from moose to squirrel. Historically your OK for the entire second half of the 18th century IMHO. With that architecture and cast off, I'd bet the sights are right where you want them to be when it comes to the shoulder. :hatsoff:

gunnut,

I used ferric nitrate in disstilled water. It is done just like aqua fortis but you don't need to find a way to get the nitric acid.

3 tsp if ferric nitrate crystals in an old coffe mug fill with disstilled water mix to dissolve crystals

I used a brush to put on solution and let dry.(turns green)

Heat gun to change color

Baking soda in distilled water to nutralize ferric nitrate

Let dry

Steel wool smooth

several coats of tung oil

Ferric nitrate is what you get when you mix iron into nitric acid I was a little scared when I did it but I really like the way it turned out and can't wait to do it again.

SquirrelFlinter

A very handsome piece!

Do you apply hear as you would in the aqua fortis? (heat gun)?

I looked for ferric nitrate on the web and was only able to find a 500 gram can for about forty bucks, plus another ten for the ever- popular S&H... any idea where i could get a smaller quantity of the stuff?

Thanks

MSW

MSW, Try here, you don't need much th 125 gm. will do. A lot safer than using AF.
Ferric Nitrate
they have other chemicals and formulas for different patinas. Bill

Back