• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick Pugh

36 Cal.
Reaction score
04-12-06_1557hawken2.jpg

I scraped the stock, then whiskered it and boned it then applied five coats of Tru Oil to it...
04-12-06_1553hawken4.jpg

04-12-06_1544hawken1.jpg

I was very pleased with the Tru Oil, the next project I am going to attempt is a plain Pennslvania rifle.
Yellowhammer :v

Nice job!
Although some dont like Tru-Oil, I've had very good success with it. With a little work, I can get anything from a soft satin to a mirror finish and it doesn't seem to yellow over the years. At least not on my guns.

So, What's Next? You did realize that once a person builds one of these guns, they get an irresistible urge to make something else. :grin:

Yes the bug has bitten me, I am sold on Tru Oil "it has made a rather plain stock jump out at you" as one of my friends said. I can't wait to see the result on curly maple.
Yellowhammer :grin:

This may be a stupid question but are you using just Tru oil and no stain? :hmm:

I used a light coat of walnut stain then five coats of Tru Oil useing fine steel wool between coats. :v
Yellowhammer

Latest posts

Back