• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Cleaning (new to muzzle loading)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koauke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I received my Pedersoli Kentucky percussion rifle (my first muzzle loader) and want give it the first cleaning. The nipple wrench I bought (by traditions) doesn't seem to fit. Does Pedersoli use a different size nipple? Can I get by without removing the nipple for the time being? Should I remove the screw on the side of the drum?

Is there anything else I need to know before diving into this?

If the wrench is the 2 prong style and the gap isn't wide enough you can file the wrench opening to fit.
I have also used small wrenches to remove nipples it just takes longer because there's not a lot of room.
I don't generally remove the bolster screws because it tends to wear out the screw slots.
be sure to put some never seize on the threads if you do remove.
do not over tighten the nipple that's a good way to strip the threads

Track of the wolf should have a proper nipple wrench along with spare nipples and anything else you might need.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/index.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, thanks!

Does this rifle have a "patent breech" that I need to worry about cleaning? I have .22 caliber brushes, but they don't fit the ramrod.

Couldn't say for certain without seeing it and I don't own any pedersolis
I clean my patent breeches just like those without. get yourself a flush nipple and use the pumping method to clean.

I always pull, clean and grease the screw....no reason not too in MHO. AND its alot easier to remove and sprinkle a lil powder in for dry balling than the nipple (again in MHO). If you choose not to remove it (as many on here do) in a few range outings you will likely be unable to ever remove it. They do wear but replacements are readily available (I get mine at copper state nut and bolt). I suggest if you decide to pull and clean regularly you first take the screw and get a few replacements to have on hand (be sure to shorten to exact length if they are a little long so as not to turn into nipple). Someone here will soon tell ya about making yer own nipple wrench from a standard socket and I would recommend it (and will make myself one soon).

Happy Birthday.
You need to use something that cut's/cleans grease on that barrel,.
Brake cleaner and lot's an lot's of patches.

Always remove the nipple, learn how to use the jag/patch pump method for leaning the bore.
There's a pretty darn heavy packing grease inside that barrel and over the lock internals. Pedersoli has no idea a rifle will sit in a warehouse or on the shelf.

Please, clean the bore until a white patch comes out white (completely). If you don't and you shoot that gun with even traces of that grease in the bore a nasty hard fouling will build up that will create problems with accuracy.

Thanks, and thanks for the advice.

I purchased a nipple/flush hose, a Derlin ramrod, and was able to find a Pedersoli nipple wrench online as well. So I guess I'll have to wait until those arrive before cleaning.

Will Hoppes No.9 take care of the barrel preservative? I have Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber on hand as well.

No. Hoppes is a nitro powder solvent and kind of usless when it comes to ML's,, I do use Hoppes 9 Lubricating Oil for further care,,
I've found the best and fastest is gasoline.
Removing the barrel and using a soup can with a enough gas to submerse the nipple/drum and using the pump method,, then brake cleaner, to remove the gas residue and denatured alcohol to clean and dry the brake cleaner.
White patch coming out white is the key to whatever method is used.

Try the Gumout brand of choke and carb cleaner. I like it over brake cleaner. It leaves no residue. 5 bucks a can. JMO.

It's pretty simple... don't over analyze it. I teach a basic NRA Muzzle Loader class and I demo just warm water with a couple drops of dish soap in a #10 coffee can. I use a brass range rod (it's 6"-8" longer than my wood rod, heavier and I like it), some saturated cleaning patches and some dry patches. No brushes or mops.

If you can remove your barrel (and the nipple), put the nipple end in the can (submerged) of water/soap. Use the ram rod and the jag you use to load with as a cleaning patch. Slowly work the patched jag into the barrel up/down with short strokes as you work your way to the bottom.

This will siphon water thru the nipple hole (or the nipple if you don't remove it) up into the barrel. The water will quickly turn black so you know its getting it out.

Be careful when you swap patches as the water will be drawn all the way up.

Then I pull the barrel out of the water, wrap a paper towel around the nipple end, and repeat a couple more patches till it's clean and dry. Usually takes less than 10 minutes and 2 cleaning patches and 2-3 dry patches.

I always pull my nipple and clean it with a pipe cleaner after soaking in the water, dry it and put choke grease (shotgun) on the threads to reinstall.

If you don't wanna remove the barrel you need to pull the nipple and swap a wash-thru nipple you can connect to a hose that will go into the water (same principal).

Depending when I when will shoot it next I will swab it with bore butter or barricade. Always wipe soot off the barrel near the nipple and use some light oil on along it... I will pull the lock occasionally and hit it with some Gun spray wash, lightly oil and wipe down.

Check it a day or so later to make sure it's not got any rust.... my guns were used and probably stored dirty and have some minor pits.

Seems like my nipples last 1-2 years - usually Scouts shooting ~300-400 balls.

:v

dg98adams said:
It's pretty simple... don't over analyze it. I teach a basic NRA Muzzle Loader class and I demo just warm water with a couple drops of dish soap in a #10 coffee can.
Your full post is a perfect description for normal cleaning.
Are you suggesting this common cleaning method for typical black powder fouling after shooting,,for a new barrel packed with grease?

Or is it that you didn't read the topic completely?

I'm a bit apprehensive about removing the pins to get to the barrel, I will just have to be extra careful.

Is there something besides barricade that will do the same job? I just tried to order it from basspro and apparently you can't have it shipped to CA. I guess that explains why I don't see it around here. I saw someone mention bore butter, will that do the job as far as rust protection? I did buy some of that for patch lube.

Well, I'll be. Your right.
No one can ship Barricade to addresses in California! :shocked2:
Obviously it contains something that actually works.

You might try finding a gun store and asking them for a good rust protection for your guns.
Most of them do work.

As for bore butter, it makes a pretty poor rust protectorate and I don't recommend it for that job.

If you don't have a exploded view of your rifle and you have 'adobe' on your computer so you can read pdf files, follow this link to the Pedersoli site.
Notice under the word "CODE" there is a downloadable pdf file that shows all of the parts of your rifle. Click the "Download Attachment" words.

The pdf file shows 2 pins at each ramrod thimble. Do not remove these when you try to remove the barrel.

There are possibly more barrel pins than the pdf shows but there is at least one. Look for any pin that goes thru the stock that isn't there to hold a ramrod thimble in place and use a smaller nail or pin along with a small mallet or hammer to drive the cross pin out about 1/4 inch.
Then, grab the exposed pin with some pliers and pull it out.

It's a good idea to remove the rear lock screw from the stock. This screw will be on the side opposite the lock. Often, this rear lock screw passes thru the barrel tang and if it's not removed, the barrel will not come out of the stock.

Also, remove the screw that goes thru the barrel tang (near the breech).
If the barrel doesn't come free, you might have to remove the pinned nose cap before the barrel can be removed.

Keep track of which pin came out of which hole. Sometimes the pins can be of a different size or length.

It's no so much an "ingredients" issue as it is a prop 65 issue. The makers of the product will not put the prop 65 warning label on it that it can cause cancer so CA will not let it in. Folks out here just need to adjust and select one of the other "legal" products that work the same.

Crewdawg445 said:
They allow ballistol in? Great stuff, it certainly has the track record to follow as well. Ummm, I was actually going to order more and I believe an answer to my own question has been found...
http://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2QMFS6ATY51SZ/?

:rotf: no one get :eek:ff just had to share that!

Umm! go to Birchwood Casey's website
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning-and-Maintenance/Barricade®-Rust-Protection.aspx
Its printed right there in nice bold red letters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back