• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Cleaning (new to muzzle loading)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree Ballistol is an outstanding product. I buy the 16oz non spray bottles as well. I use it on all my firearms not just BP.

JohnT,
You are right of course, I did not clarify the "soap and water method" I suggested, is for the "recently shot, normal fouling kind of cleaning". :hatsoff:

You will need to remove the nipple to properly clean your rifle but you do not need to remove the "clean out screw". Actually the term "clean out screw" is a misnomer. It is not there for cleaning your rifle, that hole was drilled when they were making the breach so they could have access to the inside of it to clean out the casting. They then plug the hole with a screw. You don't ever need to remove it.

For the first cleaning, you will need a solvent such as mineral spirits, Varsol, break cleaner on some similar solvent that will cut the grease. Then oil the outside with something like Birchwood-Casey's Barricade. Oil the inside of the cleaned lock with something like 3 in One machine oil. Use a dry rag to wipe off the stock and I like to use something like Johnson's paste wax to protect the stock. Actually, my favorite thing to use on all of the outside wood and metal is Renaissance wax. It is great stuff and is used by many museums to protect their displays.

Back