• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Custom flintlock question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeppsu

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to get into hunting with a smoothbore for my first custom muzzleloader and want to hunt deer , squirrels and turkeys with the same gun without getting into a higher priced gun. What are your opinions out there on the Northwest Trade Gun by Gun Works in 20 gauge? Thanks

I do not own one, but I have shot my buddies, its a really fine gun. and in my opinion 20 ga is a really good all around size. I have a 16 ga, and in many instances, wished it was a 20. I have never been in a situation where I would not have been equally happy with 20. its a good choice for a first all round gun, you will likely add other guns, but I doubt you will get rid of that NW trade gun, they are just too handy.

Thanks for the input! You are right in the regards that I will probably end up owning a couple of them, but the 20 gauge seems like a good all around choice to start with. Are they pretty accurate and out to how far?

my buddy dropped a mulie at 60 yards with no problems I held a 5 inch group offhand at 50 yards. and it breaks clay pidgeons with ease.
very handy guns, they feel real good comming up.

I don't have a NW gun, but I have 20 ga. fusil fin. I have never felt under gunned with this.

I have taken bear, deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, quail,and duck with my 20 ga. None of them felt it was not enough gun. I just make sure the game is withing what I feel is a safe range, 50 yards or less for big game, 25 yards or less for turkey and the rest.

I just wanted to welcome you to the board. I have some family in the Sharpsville area and just ate in a smokin' good Italian restaurant there (Oh, and I'm also a PSU guy).

In regards to your question, I also have a 20 gauge fowler. Mine has the Colerain special turkey choke, so I can't shoot balls out of it but it's good for turkeys and would be fine for small game as well.

I have a 20 ga. NWT gun. A custom using a Track barrel and Chambers lock with a custom stock. You will need to pattern your smoothbore with various charge weights of powder and shot to determine what patterns best for turkey. Mine is fine to 25 yards with no choke. Beyond that it gets a few holes in the pattern.

With PRB it is good to fifty yards off a good rest on deer sized game. Off hand I am probably not going to shoot at a deer over forty yards, maybe a bit less.

My NWT has no rear sight and a 42" barrel.

GangGreen,

Muscarellas is definitely a good place to grub at, especially for Italian Food. Next time your in town holler at me, and We'll join you for dinner.

Back