• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first daze of elk I mean turkey season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Well got out and elk hunted this week.... well it was really Turkey hunting but after covering twenty plus miles and a few thousand vertical feet of some of the most god offal scrub oak, juniper, and ponderous drainages imaginable I felt it was fall elk hunting not pleasant rolling hill turkey hunting.

The birds in my hunting area are flocked up not even henned up so calling was a moot point because the hens weren't going to nest mid day and leaving the Toms to come to my lonely hen call something my six year old daughter and I found out the first morning when we got into a huge flock controlled by a very aggressive brood hen.

we got a hammering volunteer from a big ol Tom just to have that hen start screaming at us and pulling the flock away.

So we backed out of there and after a two hour bush whack and a thousand foot climb back up to the canyon rim to our camp I realized I need to hunt in a bit more unconventional method.

The next morning at 4am my alarm said to early or was that me.

I got down into the drainage before light and set up under the roost tree. Once I figured out where the Toms were roosting I snuck in between them and the rest of the flock who were roosted in six or eight towering ponderous pines.

just as the first hens started tree calling I let loose with the most god offal yotie call scattering the whole flock to the four winds.

I had already set my decoys up and immediately started yelping aggressively trying to drown out the brood hen's bitching about being disturbed so early.

Well two Toms took the bate and came a running, POW RIGHT IN THE KISSER and that all she wrote boys.
The interesting part was that even tho I diden't harvest the biggest Tom the one I got had a very nice 10 inch beard that was actually a double beard.

DSCF5775.jpg

DSCF5792.jpg

I was starting to get worried about you. You hadn't posted any pics of dead critters for a while - I was afraid that you had caught "tree-hugger syndrome" from some one in Denver... :grin:

Very cool story and great pics. I am jealous that you have such a good hunting partner too!

TGJaeger said:
I was starting to get worried about you. You hadn't posted any pics of dead critters for a while - I was afraid that you had caught "tree-hugger syndrome" from some one in Denver... :grin:

Very cool story and great pics. I am jealous that you have such a good hunting partner too!

Man I know.. I get the shakes wicked bad if I don't draw bead on somthing once a month. :haha:
That in between no hunting season raises hell with my nerves.

That is super nice photo. What is your sidearm and do you have a picture of that. thanks

:thumbsup: That's great.Great photos,and hunting partner.Congrats on both.Griz

Way to go GMBoy!!! I guess that's one way to skin a cat, er....Gobbler, when they are uncooperative! :wink:

By the way, I don't imagine that I am the only one here that really enjoys your stories and the great photography. "Thanks"! :applause:

Skychief.

Nice bird :thumbsup:. That reminds me of my first turkey. A triple bearded jake. And it's not like most double and triple beards, each beard is the same width. I oughta take a pic of it some time.

Way to go GMBoy..good job of out foxin them gobblers.. :hatsoff:

Yer huntin partner looks like she's really into huntin with you. Me thinks yer gonna have a traditional huntin son-in-law in about 15 years or so... :thumbsup:

at a turkey? i've seen pics of his patterns from that gun. i don't think a second shot would be a necessetiy

at a turkey? i've seen pics of his patterns from that gun. i don't think a second shot would be a necessetiy

Who said anything about turkeys?...there's all kinds of critters out there, not to mention them Blackfeet... :)

Latest posts

Back