• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First deer with the new rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tddeangelo

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My new custom rifle finally got to strut its stuff tonight a bit.

I sat a field edge stand that had deer near it almost every evening since the opener. With the wind (sustained at 10-15, gusts to 25-30), I started to think I'd made the wrong stand choice, but hoped the wind would calm down enough at the end of the day to get deer to come out to feed.

At about 4:45, a small doe came out from my right side and started feeding. I was in a 2-man stand (by myself, lol), so I scooted around with my leg up on the seat so I could shoot toward my right side. I ducked the long barrel around some low branches, lol, and got my left hand on the stand rail and waited.

She had to come about 10-15 steps to get to a clear spot. She walked right through it and into the next opening and almost through that, too. I had the gun cocked at the sights on the front edge of her shoulder (she was angled toward me).

I gave a soft bleat and she stopped. I just let the pressure on the trigger start to stack, focusing only on my sights. KerRROOOOOOOOM! The wind was still there enough that the smoke was whisked away so I could see the result of the shot.

The big 0.600 ball hit her high and forward of the near shoulder, and exited aft of the far shoulder, about half way up the body. I have never seen a deer react like this when shot. She went down, but that doesn't really do it justice. It was about like someone used a big flyswatter and literally slapped her down to the ground. She hit the deck, belly up (sort of like my lab when he wants his belly rubbed, lol), legs up, and never twitched.

I found hair 6 feet toward the stand from where she had stood when I shot her, lol.

The shot distance was 42 yards. I am shooting a 0.600 ball (324gr), a pillow ticking patch with bear grease, and 120gr of Goex FFg.

Pulled off the hide, and there is absolutely no blood shot meat obvious around either the entrance nor exit. They are big ol' holes, lol, but the meat is not beat up bad at all. Sort of like an arrow wound, really.

She's a young one, but not small enough to be this year's fawn I don't think. Maybe a very late one from last year? Or a really big fawn from this year. She was not pregnant.

I've had a few close calls where I nearly got to take a shot with the new rifle, but I got to actually pull the trigger tonight! :thumbsup:

Here's the rifle, deer, bag, and horn....a pic I've wanted to take for a while! :)

BAE64D32-5880-4CD7-8E44-C1301D081200_zpsghatbfsx.jpg

Congratulations! :hatsoff: You really got the job done. Good lookin' rifle too.

You're right on the size...looks like either a really big one from this year or a yearling. From the little bit I can see, the tarsals look very dark...going into a heat cycle? In my area, a fair portion of the more "mature" and well fed deer-of-the-year can go into heat this time of year. If they get impregnated, it's a very late fawn birth...July or even August.

In any case, that will be some very fine eating.

Good job, just the size I like to eat. My wife requests "the pink meated ones". I try and oblige, after all she's the boss. Nice looking equipment too. Enjoyed the post.

She was by herself, which had me looking HARD with the binoculars at her head. Yeah, yeah, having binos with a flintlock feels a little weird, but I am only permitted to harvest does, and from this same stand the evening before, I had a small spike buck under my tree for over an hour. It is worth it to be sure there are no "surprises".

Usually now the does are in groups, and most I see are indeed in winter herds. I'd seen a lone doe a couple mornings ago just 50-60 yards from where she emerged into the field last night, so it could well be the same deer. If she was in heat, that might explain the other does not wanting anything to do with her! They're sick of the bucks by now!

Our 2nd rut was not far behind the first. I shot a nice buck on Dec 1 and he was grunting and chasing two does. After the does left and he was down, another buck came scent trailing the does.

I know the does will just keep coming into estrus until bred, so I guess maybe she could have been?

Time to look for a "mama doe" now...

:)

CONGRADS on the nice doe & excellent marksmanship.

ImVho, PRB that size/weight is hard to beat for WT/most exotics/smaller hogs.
(One of the northeast TX gents, who hunts our lease with us, shoots nothing but a .62 caliber "Pore Boy" & I cannot remember him ever spending the day looking for a wounded WT. = A goodly percentage are DRT.)

Otoh, for BIG/dangerous game (say over 250KG), I want a 20-bore or larger Cape-rifle with a HEAVY Minie-ball & a goodly load of 00 or 000 buckshot in the smooth barrel.

just my OPINION, satx

Back