• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First flint lock purchase question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe6112

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Been looking at a couple of options for my first purchase, Pedersoli Pennsylvania or Dixie Pennsylvania. Was curious to hear some feedback on quality of those. And what is a good caliber for just target shooting just having fun? I dont really plan on doing any hunting with it. Any inputs or direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Either is a good buy. Suggest .36 for ease of finding ammo and accessories as well as less cost to shoot in powder and lead. Little to no recoil as well.

If you ever think you might want to try deer hunting with it, .45 would probably be a good choice too. Still lots of stuff readily available...as much as a .36...still good for just target plinking with smaller loads. But, if you ever change your mind, it's also a deer gun.

If you have no desire or inkling ever to hunt deer, then I agree with the .36. And that's a fine samll game caliber.

Have the Pedersoli Kentucky and have had it for years. She's reliable and accurate. Mine is a .50 however. Good way to get addicted to this black powder shindig.

I have seen some good shooting Pedersoli guns out there, so I say go for that one.

I'd still purchase a deer capable caliber. They're much easier to find components locally. 36 is near impossible at big sporting good stores or mom-n-pop gun shops. Also, if you choose to sell the gun, it'll be easier to sell.

I'd never say never with no deer hunting either.

Go with a 50 cal or the 45 cal. If the 45 cal was the same outside diameter barrel as the 50 cal, then go with the 50 cal. Most commercial gun makers use the same stock for multiple calibers. you're just adding more front heavy weight with the thicker barrel.

Muzzleloaders take longer to go through a lot of shots, and the cost per shot is much cheaper than a centerfire hunting rifle, so don't be too quick to go with the small 36 calibers.

Also, if you go to those muzzleloading competition, you might be more challenged with a 36. The smaller ball can cause more very accurate misses, like tie breaker paper targets, hitting small things like loli-pops, or splitting poker cards. Also, some places use knock down targets to score. If your small bore doesn't knock a plate down, but hits it, it's still a miss. Places with a lot of shooters can mistaken a hit for a miss, because they didn't see the larger farther away targets swing and they weren't sure if the ring they heard was yours or somebody else's.

Go with a 50 cal or the 45 cal. If the 45 cal was the same outside diameter barrel as the 50 cal, then go with the 50 cal. Most commercial gun makers use the same stock for multiple calibers. you're just adding more front heavy weight with the thicker barrel.

Also, if you go to those muzzleloading competition, you might be more challenged with a 36. The smaller ball can cause more very accurate misses, like tie breaker paper targets, hitting small things like loli-pops, or splitting poker cards. Also, some places use knock down targets to score. If your small bore doesn't knock a plate down, but hits it, it's still a miss. Places with a lot of shooters can mistaken a hit for a miss, because they didn't see the larger farther away targets swing and they weren't sure if the ring they heard was yours or somebody else's.

Pretty good ideas...though I know that folks that do a lot of "offhand" or "standing-unsupported" sometimes want a muzzle heavy rifle to help steady the front sight while standing and shooting.

At least a .45, not only for those 100 yard targets but... you've a better chance if you forget your bullets at home at finding somebody at a match who has spare ammo for a .45 or a .50

Here's another factor.... so you have a great time with your factory rifle, but you've seen some nice semi-custom and custom rifles, and you decide that's what you want for your next rifle. So much so that you're willing to part with your current rifle...depending on where you live, you are (imho) more likely to sell a rifle at a good price if it's good for targets and deer, not just targets and small game.

LD

Joe, I got 45, 50, and 54.

45 is not that bad at all on price per shot. Balls are 25 to 50% cheaper than other common bore sizes seen.

I also have no problems hitting very accurate 25 yard paper targets, smaller 50 yard targets, and then getting those 100 yard gongs with just 40 grains of powder. Put 55 or 60 grains is you want to reach out farther.

11 cent ball, 5 cent patch, and 9 cents a shot for powder (40 grains at $15/lb). 25 cents a trigger pull. That's 25% cheaper than shooting the cheapest centerfire handgun roughly. 5 times cheaper than shooting cheap 30-06 hunting ammo. Going down more doesn't save a ton. The patch stays the same price, the flint wear is the same. You're looking at saving maybe a nickel a shot tops down down in caliber. People I know who shoot more than once a week all use 45 calibers mostly. A local builder does 90% of his work in 45 cal.

Also, a gun below 45 cal is pretty much illegal to hunt deer with. So, it will be harder to sell, or you need to buy another gun to give deer hunting a shot.

To elaborate on the knockdown targets, if you hit low they might not knock them over with the small game bore sizes.

Both have their plusses and minuses. There's your answer.

Match the tool to the job, not the other way around. Get both.

If you want one more to think about, I have noticed that Cabelas has through their mail order, an attractive price on their Pedersoli Blue Ridge ( Frontier ) 45 caliber flintlocks. Just something else to ponder........Greg :)

Well, late last year (2014 NOV) I purchased the Pedersoli .54 caliber Traditional Hawken. Ever since I had watched Jeremiah Johnson back in the late 70's all I wanted was to be a frontiersman. it took me thirty plus years to purchase my first flint lock but I finally purchased one. Like you I reached out for input but only knew a hand full of people that actually owned or shot them. I looked to You Tube and found a wealth of info. Since I love to hunt Axis deer (whitetail if desperate) I knew that my best bet would be .50 or.54 caliber. As far as ammo goes, I am picky about size. I prefer .535 diameter as opposed to .530 because it is a bit more snug in the barrel. I don't have a problem finding it, but when you become addicted as I did, the cost can easily sky rocket. I have just purchased all the components to cast my own round balls and for my family budget yes, the initial cost stings but as much as I shoot the cost will easily balance itself out. Happy shooting with whatever your purchase is.

Also a lot of stores slash their stuff after huntin season.I seen balls and all kind of accessories discounted heavily.Here in Pa.it,s goin on now since the end of our flinty season.

Latest posts

Back