• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First flinter game !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

Went out this morning after the nightshift to look a bit around in my hunting ground. When I was at a timberharvest area I sat down for a while. After 5 minutes I saw something red behind a bush and first thougt it was a roe. With my binocular I recognized that it was a redfox, sitting on a timberstump and try to catch a mouse. So I took my new flinter Hawken from Investarm/Lyman aimed and puled the trigger, but only the panbp went off. The fox wasn't disturbed, so I primed again. Now it worked and I blowed him off his "chair". The .530 RB with lubed 0.010 patch, wad and 75 grs WANO PP did hit him from behind and went right throuh him. So he didn't look that good anymore.Distance was about 60 meters. Unfortunately I had no didgicam with me for redfox last pic.

I think this was the first game taken with a flinter in Germany since over 200 years.

Regards

Kirrmeister

atta boy kirr! now... flintlock roe....watch how much primer you spill on yer second priming attempt,specially if'n there's horns! fox utter? :blah: RC

Kirrmeister said:
Hello from Germany!

Went out this morning after the nightshift to look a bit around in my hunting ground. When I was at a timberharvest area I sat down for a while. After 5 minutes I saw something red behind a bush and first thougt it was a roe. With my binocular I recognized that it was a redfox, sitting on a timberstump and try to catch a mouse. So I took my new flinter Hawken from Investarm/Lyman aimed and puled the trigger, but only the panbp went off. The fox wasn't disturbed, so I primed again. Now it worked and I blowed him off his "chair". The .530 RB with lubed 0.010 patch, wad and 75 grs WANO PP did hit him from behind and went right throuh him. So he didn't look that good anymore.Distance was about 60 meters. Unfortunately I had no didgicam with me for redfox last pic.

I think this was the first game taken with a flinter in Germany since over 200 years.

Regards

Kirrmeister
Are Red Foxes considered varmints there like Coyotes are here...and do you have Coyotes there?

I guess you showed that fox the error of his ways - showing his stuff on a stump no less. I don't know about Germany but here in America (at least here in WNC) foxes, 'coons and bears will oft times climb up on a stump to 'relieve themselves'. I'm convinve myself that it is a sign of contempt for human scent as much as territorial marking. I saw that just 3 weeks back when I visited a bear hunters camp (hope I get a call from him to accompany the hunt this winter) that a bear had visited and chewed/clawed on parts of the cabin and tore up a wooden ladder he had hanging on side of the cabin.

Hey Congratulations man. That must be some feeling it gave ya huh? My first flintlock game taken was a red fox as well. Red fox squirrel that is lol :grin:

roundball said:
Kirrmeister said:
Hello from Germany!

Regards

Kirrmeister
Are Red Foxes considered varmints there like Coyotes are here...and do you have Coyotes there?

Red foxes are varmint here in GE and the only one. In eastern Germany we have some wolfes and in the middle mountains (comparable to the Apalachians) we have lynxes and racoons. That was it. No Coyotes, etc.

Kirrmeister

Dirk, Congratulations again! :thumbsup: At this rate, I'll be buying many bottles next year :bow:
Waschbaren, I was told they were not native to Europe. Escaped or released from Russian labs? Your thoughts? Are they too considered varmints as there are a lot of problems with rabies in my area.

Waschbaren = racoon

When I was stationed in Hohenfels in Northern Bavaria, I took the German hunters course. It was very interesting the way Germans conduct hunting conservation and their hunting customs. We were told that if we saw a fox to shoot it and bury it as rabies were rampant. On the other hand, we had a fox which would come to the back door of our TOC and people would leave dog food out for him. I don't know what the forest meister would have said had he known.
Gruss Gott
Chris

Good shooting. I was out chuck hunting yesterday evening and as is my custom at this one farm, I was staked out at a bean field. Suddenly there was 2 foxes (male and female) bounding through the green beans. I tell you it was wonderfull to see. All them grean beans and these two red (and not so red) foxes just a churning through them. Later I noticed that there area a ton of rabbits out there and the fox pair must have been stirring things up.

Congrats on the first of many flintlock hunts!

They are a smart critter. I watched two work a milo field for birds one day. They entered the field and everything got quiet. All of a sudden you could hear and see a fox charging thru the milo chasing the birds up into the air. All you could see were the plants moving. All of a sudden the fox would leap way up in the air and snap at the birds. Just about the time I started to wonder why I was only seeing one hunting, they answered the question. The one charged thru the milo off in a new direction. The birds immediately settled back down to the grain tops still watching him. The second one had never moved. While they watched the other one clowning, the first just sat until a bird watching the other one landed in his mouth almost. I thought it was a fluke until they did it several more times that day. They were working together. Beautiful fur sometimes!

I know a man who watched two fox working some 13 stripe ground squirrels. One was doing flips in the air, keeping the ten-pins distracted. The other fox sneaked up behind them, and took them down one at a time, and killed them before they could squeal an alarm, until all 5 of the squirrels were killed. Then the other fox joined that one and each carried a squirrel off, probably to the nest to feed the young. within an hour all the squirrels were gone.

bucktales said:
Dirk, Congratulations again! :thumbsup: At this rate, I'll be buying many bottles next year :bow:
Waschbaren, I was told they were not native to Europe. Escaped or released from Russian labs? Your thoughts? Are they too considered varmints as there are a lot of problems with rabies in my area.

Waschbaren = racoon

Hi Ed,
thanks for the wishes. The racoons in Germany escaped from furfarms in the 1930's which were invented from our Reichsjägermeister Mr. Göring. Most populatuions are in the Rhön-Mountains (Hessia), Northern Bavaria and West Germany.

Here down in southern Bavaria we have no racoons.

What' with your shoulder? Everything getting better slowly? Best wishes!

Dirk

Dirk, Hanging in there. I'll shoot you an e-mail since OT is now verbieten :barf:

Blizzard of '93 said:
I'm convinve myself that it is a sign of contempt for human scent as much as territorial marking. I saw that just 3 weeks back when I visited a bear hunters camp (hope I get a call from him to accompany the hunt this winter) that a bear had visited and chewed/clawed on parts of the cabin and tore up a wooden ladder he had hanging on side of the cabin.

We had a bear leave his nose and paw prints on our hunting cabin window. There were also grooves scratched into the front porch support post. If I can find the digital photos, will try and post 'em.

Congrats on your first flintlock kill Dirk! :hatsoff: I have the feeling that there will be many more to come.

Back