• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first flintlock deer!!! (pic)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkmountainken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
took my first deer with a flinter today. 3 does ran to me and my cousin. 2 stopped right in front of him but as he has allready taken 2 bucks this year with muzzleloader he choose to pass. the thrid, which happened to be the smallest ran about 20 yards from me and stopped. i touched off Miss Fish and caught her righe square in the neck. re-loaded and did a coup de grace which i'm sure was un-needed but makes it get over with all the much quicker. i was shooting my Tim Brown made 45. cal that i named Miss Fish. load was 65 grains fff, .018 water souable patch and a .445 hornady rb. first shot hit center of the neck, went through neck bone and on out oppisite side. its not the biggest deer but it feels like a trophy to me as i had 2 good friends with me and it was the last possible day to hunt northern zone. now next week i'm holding out for a mature doe or buck when we hunt south. take care and keep yer powder dry,
Ken
45deer.jpg

flintdeer.jpg

There is a real blood attachment i have felt with nature and the deer after i take them with a muzzleloader and prb that i never felt with a centerfire. That deer will always hold a special place in the heart. Good show

A nice tender deer for sure you got there... :thumbsup:

I have to ask, why do you call your gun " MISS FISH"?

Congratulations on a job well done. Be some good eating. Any deer that you can take with a flinter is a good deer. Like MM said, why Miss Fish?

my mothers nick name when she was younger was miss fish as she use to love to go fishing. my mother has allways been there for me and has never let me down when alot of family had givin up on me. i was not a good kid! times change, found a lovly wife and have calmed down. when Tim built the rifle he put an acron inlay on it that read Miss Fish in honor of my mother and how she has been so strong for me ( acorn= oak, stron as an oak). also had 6 german silver fish inlayed in it so the name fits her fora couple reasons. i'm also an avid fly fisherman.
missfish.jpg

ramrod.jpg

LOCK.jpg

outstanding job, congrats. very nice looking f/l also.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
snake-eyes :applause: :applause: :applause: :master: :master: :peace: :) :thumbsup:

congrats:Them back staps are going to melt in your mouth,and the steaks will cut with a butter knife.Nice m/l :m2c:

If'n you wanted, you could have one of those silver fish inscribed with the year or the date and year of your deer. Of course in a couple of years you could be out of fish to inscribe. Then you'd have to get a new rifle!

Congrats Ken if you want to come up i got plenty of southern land to hunt. Im going to sell most of my traps and buy me a custom flintlock lefthanded .

I'll add my congratulations also, Ken. I missed my first shot with a flintlock at a buck Saturday morning. I know it was buck fever.

Adkmountainken Very nice deer and excellent shootin iron. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That shootin iron is almost too nice to take in the woods. And one smoken mama you dont want to mess with. :shocking: :crackup: :master: :master:

Ken, you must be from New York. We PA hunters can tell because you don't look nothing like no pumpkin :haha:. Congratulations on the deer. I like the history behind your m/l. Now on to the next deer.
Zman

Pepperbelly,
you should see the white stuff falling right now!!! as i have been really sick ( bad cold ) it seems like the worse i feel the harder it snows!!! i relly didn't even want to go in the woods yesterday becouse i felt so bad! i guess i was lucky i dragged myself in the woods and it was ment to be shooting my first flinter deer!
Zman,
what the heck are you doing on the puter at this time of the morning??? yer probley just like me, if i ain't hunting withmy smokepoles i'm on the net reading about others and their adventures! take care and keep yer powder dry.
Couple more hours and its off truding through the white stuff checking my trapline.
Ken

Excellent and very thoughtful tribute to your mother, Ken! I'm sure she is touched by your devotion. The PA flintlock season opens on 27 Dec. My boys and I can't wait to get out! We hope there's a skiff of snow like you had. Thanks for sharing your story! Rick

Ken
Nice deer. It looked like a gaint when it got in from of them sites. Your mother must be good people. Keep up the good work.

Congradulations.

Nice doe, beautiful rifle.

We be getting rain down here. Yesterday I had to cross a stream that I can normally hop across. This time it was about 4" over my 10" boots. :curse: Took on a little water, but not enough to stop me.

Don't take me long to step in 33

Back