• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flintlock Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Earlier this year I built a LH 54 cal Isaac Haines Lancaster from a Dunlap kit. I've been able to make it to the range a couple times to get her dialed in at around 50 yards, and settled on 80 grains of fffg with .018 pillow ticking and mink oil. Well, it paid off this afternoon and harvested my first ever deer with a flintlock - a nice South Alabama nanny.

I have taken quite a few deer with rifle and bow and have enjoyed it all...but I tell ya this flintlock stuff is just downright fun. Never thought I'd be so excited about a doe :grin:

9D08C422-8E54-4C42-8C29-6DFB1291D276_zpsccg1vbgl.jpg

Ya did good :thumbsup: Love the color of the stock. What stain is that and what barrel? Dan.

Congrats!!! Good job!!!

Sure puts the fun in hunting again!!!

You will be needing a squirrel rifle as well... :grin:

Thanks Dan! I used Danglers reddish brown stain and was very please how it came out. The barrel is a Rice C wt 54 cal 38 incher. Short for some folks taste, but she handles great in the woods!

My first build was a 40 cal Lancaster intended for squirrels. Haven't made any meat with it yet. She's probably jealous...guess I should take her out too.

A hearty Congratulations!!!

Is that not the most satisfying thing to build a rifle (nicely done)and then make meat with it?

You've done well.

Enjoy.

Greg

Exactly! Bringing meat home using something I built with my hands is by far the most satisfying hunting experience I've ever had. I've got a .62 smoothbore on my bench now...yes, an addiction has been born hehehe.

Well,,I hate to be the one to tell you this:
There's no turning back now :blah:

Rice C wt. .54 38in. is what I put on mine. I like it! Handles well in the woods as you said. Dan.

stuartg said:
Never thought I'd be so excited about a doe :grin:

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle build and taking your first deer with it. :hatsoff:

With traditional weapons, it matters not the species, size, or sex. Each and every game animal is a thrill. Get that 40 out for some squirrels and those will be just as exciting!!!

Your rifle is absolutely gorgeous! That doe will give you a lot of meals to reflect each time on your wonderful hunting season!

Back