• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First flintlock kill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntertrapper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
got a ground hog today, stalked to within 50 yards and dropped him. walked over he was layin dead, well he jumped in his hole quick and died goin down, i reached in quick and pulled him out, i hit him a few times to be sure he was dead, i was wearin a buckskin short sleeved war shirt i made and my good ole felt hat, good medicine day, a good raw hide and i took some intestine to use for wrapping arrowheads or fletching, see if this works for pics, any idea how to be postin pics?

.50 caliber carbine flintlock i guess you'd say, 90 grains...... a sabot, havent got my roundballs shootin dead on yet.
also, some info. on postin pics.

Congratulations on a first Flintlock kill...special for sure.

You need to to use a 'picture hosting site', and "upload" your photos to it.
Then using your copy command, copy the IMG string of info that was assigned to you photo when you uploaded it, and "paste" that IMG string of info here in a post.

Sounds like a lot to remember but just take it one step at a time.
I've used a site called "PHOTOBUCKET" for years now...its free...just got to photobucket.com, register, get familiar with the web page.

See the place where it says upload photos, then click the BROWSE button.

That'll take you back to your PC where you'll SELECT your photo to be stored up at "Photobucket".

When you get that done then you can concentrate on making a post back here with the IMG info string so the photo will appear here as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
:hmm: if 90g powder and the sabot you were using didnt kill the ground rodent in its tracks, i wouldn't use it on big game! :haha:

i didnt hit him throught he lungs it was back a bit. no its enough for deer... :grin: but he was layin "dead". i mean if i had not walked up he prob. would have expired beside his hole but i think seein me gave him an adrenaline rush but he died goin down as i grabbed him, didnt want him to go to waste, i aint that kind of hunter

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

"i didnt hit him throught he lungs it was back a bit."

Some might suggest you go to a bigger projectile to make up for improper shot placement, had he charged you you could have found yourself in trouble... :wink:

Looks like you are haveing a blast, keep it up you have a long journey filled with challenge and much reward ahead of you, keep us posted on your progress you are carrying the ML banner into the future.

thats true... but i was so excited, i dont hunt just to kill so when i had fired my first shot ever at game i was exstatic so i ran over quick and there he lay, man i feel sadness and happiness when a kill is made but that was great, gun went off like a flatlanders rifle... hope to get a deer this fall or turkey sayin i dont get one this spring...

"man i feel sadness and happiness when a kill is made"

You will likely feel the same forty years from now, and that is fine, it shows respect for the animals we harvest, nothing wrong with mixed emotions at that time, good luck when you go after deer next fall and bring your stories to the campfire, this place gets pretty worked up in the fall when deer season opens.

Awsome Job Young Fella!
I can say that cause you look young. :grin: Them are some good word that TG speaks :thumbsup:
Keep us posted about your huntings!

A young groundhog in a roastin' pan with some potatoes and carrots makes for some tasty eatin'. When my kids were young, they used to really look forward to roasted groundhog. Now that they are older, it's fast food. (I always thought a groundhog headed for it's hole was "fast food"!) Tom

Great stuff! Excellent use for a flinter in the summertime. :thumbsup: I too have eaten groundhog - both BBQ'd and in a stew. Both were surprisingly tasty.

Good going, huntertrapper! :thumbsup:
Looks like you are on the right track to a lifetime passion many of us share.
You can always hone your skills on coyotes too. To me, they are some of the most challenging and fascinating animals to hunt. Especially true using PBR and irons.

That's PRB, not PBR :shake:
Musta been thinking of "Apocalypse Now" and the boat. :youcrazy:

29caliber said:
A young groundhog in a roastin' pan with some potatoes and carrots makes for some tasty eatin'. When my kids were young, they used to really look forward to roasted groundhog. Now that they are older, it's fast food. (I always thought a groundhog headed for it's hole was "fast food"!) Tom
I quite agree. I have never killed groundhogs (or woodchucks as we call them) with a blackpowder weapon--always with a .22, but they are very good eating, with my family always disappointed there was not more chuck on the table.

any animal i hunt or trap respect is always used... but i couldnt eat this one.. something i usually dont do... we had to leave and pick my sis up and it was 75 out, but i can say i used his hide, its salting right now and the inestine will be used for something too. thanks though fellas.

Back