• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first flintlock kill !!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well guys i got my 1st flintlock kill 2day. here is the story. i have been bugging my good fridend about getting a traditional muzzleloader for months now. well he got a chance 2 buy a t/cnew englander 50cal for 100 bucks. he took the deal.so i took my 50 t/c flinter hawken over 2 his house so we could do some loader hog hunting. we went over and sat on the edge of a soybean field.after 10 min of sitting there i heard a grounhog whistling in its hole close buy. i decided 2 sneek over and c if the hog was out of its hole. i snuck over and found its hole under an old stump. i sat down right infront of the hole and pointed the barrel at the entrence of the hole. then i whistled. instantly the hogs head stuck out of the hole. i cocked the hammer back 2 full cock and shot from the hip. the shot was so close that most of the smoke went out of the barrel and right in2 the hole. the smoke lingered in the hole until i blew it out of the hole so i could c if i got the hog or not ! when the smoke cleared i saw a bloody head laying there. i grabbed it and pulled the giant hog out of the hole. the 490. round ball had hit the hog right between the eyes! the shot was under 2 1/2 FEET !!! this was one of the most exciting hog hunts i've ever had. my load was 50 grains FF and i tightly patched 490. round ball. enjoy SS
06060911541.jpg

entrence hole.
06060911301.jpg

Nice work! Oh to be young and have all the world's groundhogs as targets again!!! I remember.........

That is great fun! I spend allot of this time of year ml'er hunting for g-hogs. It is even fun for us old guys. Nothing like a nice day sitting on a hill, over looking a creek that borders a soy bean field. In my area, they just finished planting beans, so we need to wait a little longer for the beans to get up. I always like to wait till after Memorial Day, so that the little ones can be on their own by now. Next thing SS, you will be setting up for the long shots.

Waidmanns Heil and congrats to this nice flinter and this great hog. Also congrats to the clear kill by head shot. :thumbsup:

Always good to see the youngsters coming up! :v

Regards

Kirrmeister

Nice shot! Glad to see your .490 ball didn't rip him up. So what's on the menu? I've got a hog in my freezer myself. Haven't decided what I want to make yet.

Back