• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First game with new rifle!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

Since last week I have my new .50 Traditions Deerhunter. Today I went out for the first time in a tree stand in the forest near a salt stick. At about 07:00 p.m. a male roe fawn went to the stick. It stood broadside at 70 meters, so I did my job and hit it at the shoulder blade. It died in its tracks. Used 90 grs WANO PP, .490 cast RB, 0,25mm lubed patch and a oxyoke bore button. The critter weight 10 kg field dressed.

Try to post pics asap.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Hi Britsmoothy!

The light was normal, nearly daylight, even when there was fog in the upper sky. Here it starts getting dark at about 07:30 p.m.

The fiebersight is a good thing. Makes it possible to aim very clearly.

Kirrmeister

Well done. Ragout. Hmm. I will have to look that up. One of my favorite ways to make venison is to cut the meat into thin slivers and sautee them up. Then I will add the meat to a mix of saurkraut and sliced cabbage with onion powder and caraway seed for seasoning.

Congratulations! Nice clean kill, great meat. It's nice to see pictures of game that we don't have here. I wish you luck on your future hunts.

Grats Kirrmeister. :hatsoff:

Didn't take ya long to get blood on that new rifle. :thumbsup:

Hi Jethro,

I have to admit that Deerhunters seems to be my lucky rifles. Because my last one with hardwood stock which I have sold to get a GPR brought me 6 roes. All GPR's I owned (.45-.54) brought me nothing. I didn't even see any game when I was outside with them. So I stay with the deerhunters, ordered another one in .54 from Log Cabin Shop.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Hi Rogue River,

ragout is made when you cut the venison in small cubes, fry them with oil, bacon and onions in the pan shortly. Then put 0,5l of redwine to the frying stuff. Put the venison out in a pot, put the rest also in the pot fill it up with water, spice it with venison spice and then cook it for about 60 minutes. Then put the venision out of the "soup", let the "soup" run through a sieve, cook it up again togehter with flour and sour cream and put the venision in it. Serve it all with dumplings and red cabbage. It will taste real good.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister said:
Hi Rogue River,

ragout is made when you cut the venison in small cubes, fry them with oil, bacon and onions in the pan shortly. Then put 0,5l of redwine to the frying stuff. Put the venison out in a pot, put the rest also in the pot fill it up with water, spice it with venison spice and then cook it for about 60 minutes. Then put the venision out of the "soup", let the "soup" run through a sieve, cook it up again togehter with flour and sour cream and put the venision in it. Serve it all with dumplings and red cabbage. It will taste real good.

Regards

Kirrmeister

That sure does sound yummy!
I don't cook, :redface: but I'll have to try to get my wife to try making it.

Back