• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First grey squirrel with Pedersoli trade gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdick

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy folks
Second outing at a friends farm and managed to bag a grey squirrel with my Pedersoli trade gun. I acquired the gun back in June but this was only the second time out in the field. I have cast balls for it but have not tried it on targets yet. Load used was 70 grains medium grade Kranks powder using an over shot wad, a felt wad, shot load and another over shot wad to hold it all in place. I used 1 ounce of no.5 shot. I was very happy with the shot as the grey darted from the top of a Scots pine towards an ash tree. Ignition was pretty instant and the shot dropped the chap like a stone. Now have a photobucket account and will start to post photos once I've figured it out.
It's been a great finish to a fraught week what with the Referendum but I'm delighted that we are still part of the UK.
See you through the smoke :thumbsup:
Reiver XXV

That's quite a thrill isn't it? I can still remember killing my first animal, a squirrel no less, with my blackpowder shotgun. I was super excited and still am. I hope I never get over that feeling! It's keeps my coming back. Nothing hunting related brings me as much joy as using my blackpowder firearms. Congrats on your first traditional score.

Jeff

Thanks Sean, Jeff
Now skinned and pegged out with the meat in the freezer!
Hope to get back to the woods next week, work and sons(x3) football training permitting.
See you through the smoke :thumbsup:
Reiver XXV

:hatsoff: Congratultions!

That sounds wonderful, I can relate to that.
A forum member started me with a squirrel flintlock hunt on Blackpowder hunting. To date my favorite way - if only I could hunt squirrels over here...

Silex

I never could figure out why people get so excited over hunting deer when squirrels are so much fun.
There’s way more of them and the season lasts way longer.
:grin:

Thanks folks yes we are lucky that here in the UK we can hunt grey squirrels all year round :thumbsup:
See you through the smoke
Reiver XXV

My wife and I are planning a trip to the UK soon! How hard is it to get powder and shot there for a visiter? I love squirel hunting!!!!

Hi
You need a Certificate to Acquire and Keep Explosives as well as a Recipient Competent Authority Transfer Document. The first you get from the Police and the latter from the Health and Safety Executive. Both are available free of charge once you have been visited by the Police and you have an approved powder store. I am situated forty miles south of Edinburgh and if you are looking for a shot give me a shout. I have flintlock rifles in .45 and .54 and smoothbores in .62 and .75. We have a clayground seven miles away and a friends farm six miles away( where I got the grey squirrel).
All the best
Reiver XXV

I agree Clyde. . I get just as excited over opening day of squirrel season as I do for deer season.

Back