• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Gun Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oudoceus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
I joined the forums a few months ago and said that I was going to get a rifle built. Well, things changed. I am expecting delivery today of a fusil fin parts kit from The R. E. Davis Company. I have a copy of The Art of Recreating The Pennsylvania Longrifle. It doesn't have anything in it on lining up and mounting the front site and underlugs on a round barrel. Is there a tutorial on this subject already on these forums? Can someone point me towards where I need to look here to find it? If not, where can I learn about doing this? I know someone here can point me in the right direction. Does anybody ever get together in the NE Texas area to work on guns?
Thanks for your help,
Walter

Here's how I did mine: First I marked the center of the top flat on the octagonal section of the barrel right at the breech.

Then I marked the center of the same flat right at the transistion from oct to round.

Then stretch a string lengthwise above the two marks and extend it out to the end of the barrel. I used a chalk line which has a hook on it and it was real easy. Hooked it on the breech end of the barrel, stretched it out, lined it up so it was right above both marks, and was good to go.

Do the same procedure on the bottom of the barrel for the underlugs.

The easy way to find the center line of an OTR barrel is to lay the barrel on the top or bottom flat, as the case may be, on a flat surface. Glue a strip of roughly 220 grit paper to a rigid backing, Popsicle sticks work well, and lay that under the location of your sight. Move either the backed paper or the barrel to, or away, from the muzzle. The result is a perfectly centered score line marking the location of your mounts.

God bless

you can use a level and level flats in padded vise by using shims if necessary , and take a fine cut file holding it tight under level then rub it at sight location holding bubble level .Make your mark longer than yor sight as to have a reference for lining up your blade .

I had a heck of a time getting the front sight centered on the barrel of my smoothbore. After getting slightly off center using several different methods, the one that worked was completely fastening the barrel in the stock and putting the gun in the vise. I sighted down the barrel and moved the sight around several times until it looked right. The sight came out perfect and the gun shoots great.

Thanks everyone!
I'm at the point where I need to attach the lugs and now I know I won't mess it up! I'm very pleased with this parts kit so far. It seems to be ok for a first timer.
Walter

Latest posts

Back