• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First hunt in years...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browning_68

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just recently finished wasting my time with the army, and now five years later I'm finally getting my reward of an elk hunt. My original plan was to give it a try back in Idaho where I could just go out back during the muzzleloader only season. (my wife say her first elk off the back deck twenty yards away) But as always things change and just so happened that my wife got stationed in Colorado, which bonus for me even more elk! Double bonus, just by chance happened to get a free guided hunt through my wife's unit. Hunting starts Monday, and I'm already going crazy about getting back out in the woods. Hope to get my camera working and get some good pics.

Well first off, welcome to the site!
Hope you get an elk and we definately want you to get that camera fixed. You should have a great time at Ft Carson, I have only heard good things about the area....just tell your wife to hang in there.

Cory Thank you for your service to our country.
Good luck on your hunt and hope you have a lot of fun in your adventures.

Thanks for the welcome, joined awhile back and just been learning what I can sitting in the back listening to the old timers. This will be my first muzzleloader hunt with my first muzzleloader, (already planning my offense towards the wife for at least one more) so I'm praying to the mountains here that I can get a hide and make a first bag out of her. Haha just maybe the wife will be nice and help me out making the bag? Either way if I harvest or not I get to be out in the greatest place of all, outside.

First off, welcome and thanks for your service, you have sacrificed time in the outdoors so guys like me could enjoy time in the oudoors. The best of luck on your elk hunt. :hatsoff:

Welcome to Colorado, where it's always "another day in paradise"!
Good luck on you hunt. Which area are you hunting?

Just got back and no luck with the muzzleloader... The wife was getting really impatient since I was the last to harvest of the group. Held out four days and could have had some really nice bulls, but the cows where holding deep in the brush. Broke down and used a rifle the forth night to make the wife happy. I wasn't happy but she was excited as could be when we can back with a fat cow. She doesn't understand the difference between hunting elk and shooting elk. I was more happy being so close to them bulls and not shooting then picking up the rifle. Next time she may just have to stay home so I can get some real hunting in. Lucky me bull season at home opens November first and Im thinking I need another go with the muzzy.

There are ways to work that out. But for the time being, be glad she wants to be there. Some of us would kill to have a spouse with us.

The Service To Ones Country is Never a Waste of Time..Welcome Home Brother...And Idaho is a great place to loaf with a Muzzleloader during Elk season...Good Luck...

No disrespect Cory, but you didn't waste your time in the Army. Welcome home and thanks for standing up when others won't. :hatsoff:

P.S. The elk aren"t glad you're back. :thumbsup:

Yeah she wasn't all to happy staying in a millionaires house all week go figure. I'd like to have her out trekking around with me but she some how recently acquired a heart problem so she gets to enjoy the hard part of hunting. Sleeping in and warming up by the fire in camp. Not going to lie it's nice coming off a mountain to a pretty face.

Back