• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Muzzeloading Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I shot this small 8 pt on the last day of Ohios Muzzle loading season.I have killed many does and a a few button bucks, but this is my very first M'ler buck.. and even though he's not the biggest buck I've ever killed,I'm still proud as punch! I shot him at 90-100 yards offhand,while he was nearly facing me.The rifle I used was a Jim Bridger double wedge Hawken and my hunting load was and is as follows: a 530 RB, .018 patch lubed with olive oil and 80 grains of Goex. The round ball entered in front of his right shoulder (almost his neck) and took out both lungs then tried to exit through his left rib cage.. it did not pass through. I watched as he ran 40-50 yards and expire in the fence row. I am VERY glad I watched him.. as he left NO blood trail whatsoever. The fence row was thick so I still had a rough time finding him without a blood trail to follow.. http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l610/fourwheelhorseman1/0108131144a_zps2c356689.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just outstanding...good shot, good buck, congratulations !
:hatsoff:

(PS: If you'll go back to Photobucket, and 'copy' the 4th line of info down under the photo...that starts with
...you'll be able to paste it into a post here so the photo shows all the time)

Way to go buddy! You have every right to be proud. Also, that's one fine looking gun.

Jeff

Congrats on your kill we had a beautiful 4 days in Ohio to hunt killed my first buck with a flintlock on Sunday .
God bless

Roguedog said:
Way to go buddy! You have every right to be proud. Also, that's one fine looking gun.

Jeff
Thanks! That is my FAVORITE rifle..My going to woods walks and all around workhorse. I was thinking of re-stocking it with curly maple from Petonica, BUT then I'd be afraid to take her out to the woods!

Vhntr1 said:
Congrats on your kill we had a beautiful 4 days in Ohio to hunt killed my first buck with a flintlock on Sunday .
God bless
The weather was VERY co-operative even downright NICE for January in Ohio! CONGRATS on your Flintlock buck! Sure is something to be said about taking deer with traditional methods!
:thumbsup:

Outstanding!..Great feeling isn't it? :thumbsup:
Enjoy the back straps..
Do something special with the horns..

Thas a purty gun to go with a purty buck... You might want to keep yer day job however. :wink:

Seriously... Nice job and Good shooting! :thumbsup:

Back