• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First muzzleloader hunting trip questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlkatzberg

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am going muzzleloader hunting this year and was curious what gear I should have. I have a pouch with my powder, wads, balls, caps, my compass, a hunting knife. I also have the regular hunting stuff like snacks and water and such, but I'm curious for what else there may be that I'm not thinking of. I wanna be prepared so I have the best time possible, and if you have any suggestions to make my hunt more successful, that'd be awesome too.

jlkatzberg said:
I am going muzzleloader hunting this year and was curious what gear I should have. I have a pouch with my powder, wads, balls, caps, my compass, a hunting knife. I also have the regular hunting stuff like snacks and water and such, but I'm curious for what else there may be that I'm not thinking of. I wanna be prepared so I have the best time possible, and if you have any suggestions to make my hunt more successful, that'd be awesome too.

Here's food for thought:

A Short Starter

A Capper of some type

Quick-Load powder tubes to use for a second shot

A Ball Block to hold Patched Round Balls around your neck

Pocket Warmers

Cell Phone for emergencies

Gloves/Mittens with finger accessibility

Field Dressing Kit & Paper Towels

LET SOMEONE KNOW WHERE YOU'RE HUNTING and approx. when to expect you back.

Have FUN!

Dave

I'd put together a very small "emergency" kit for your gun, just in case something goes wrong. For cappers mine holds a ball puller, nipple wrench, several cleaning patches and lubed shooting patches, a little tiny ziploc with half a dozen spare caps in it and a couple of spare balls. It shouldn't even be as big as a deck of cards.

You just never know when you'll dry ball in the heat of the moment or get away from home without something essential like spare balls or patches. Last fall I went to reload after a bum shot on a deer, and discovered I had no patches in my bag. I went ahead and just dropped the bare ball down on the powder before following up, but fortunately didn't need to shoot it.

One fine tuning detail is worth passing along: The less stuff you have in your shooting bag, the less you have to dig when you need something. I've reached the point nothing goes in the shooting bag but things that will be used for reloading. Compass, food, water, etc, goes in coat pockets, or into a daypack, or into a haversack.

Kinda depends on what type of hunting you're doing, and accomodations and such. Day trip deer hunting back East is alot different than a week long trip mule deer hunting in the Rockies. Weather is also a consideration.

Here's how I get ready. I separate my gear into three groups: 1-my shooting stuff 2-general hunting stuff 3- camping stuff.

1-shooting- I bring along everything I'll need to shoot, clean, reload, and maintain my muzzleloader in the field, and decide how I'm going to carry it.

2-general hunting- anything I might need for any hunting trip, i.e. knife, sharpener, appropriate clothing for the weather, good broken in boots, hat, orange clothing if needed, matches, short piece of rope, water container, etc.

3-camping- tent, food, water, cooking utensils, fire grate, camp stove, sleeping bags, etc.

Always plan for worst case scenario, but don't carry so much stuff that it weighs you down. Definitely carry a cell phone if you're in an area that is within a signal.

If you break it down into groups, it's easier to decide what works for you in the type of terrain and weather you'll be hunting. Bill

Not to sound alarmist in any way, but don't forget some basic first aid items for yourself, no matter if you are doing a day hunt or a longer expedition. Included in my very basic kit in addition to bandaids and antibiotic ointment is a packet of QuiKClot powder for deep cuts and puncture wounds.

Also, some very lightweight rain gear and one of those folds-up tiny space blankets, in case it rains unexpectedly or you need to keep yourself warm in an unforseen situation.

Because I tend to hunt in remote and steep areas away from cell phone coverage I also carry a Spot Messenger, which provides a way to signal my precise coordinates via satellite to a search and rescue crew in case I really get myself in a life-or-death fix. No need so far, and may it always be so!

The small increase in weight is worth the peace of mind and it can save your life as well.

My suggestion is to sit down and make a list of things you think you'll need, and you can pare them off as you go. But snowdragon is right on, take things that are for your safety first. Then add.
Always let someone know where you are going, and if you change your mind, too bad. Be where you said you'd be. :hatsoff:

I looked at your bio and see you've been hunting for 8 years. So, you're probably asking about muzzleloading gear more than anything. The above posts should give you most of the answers.

Where will you be hunting, and what game?

Im hunting eastern oregon area and deer hunting, might also do muzzleloader elk hunting this year but havent decided yet.

I lived and hunted in Grant county Oregon many moons ago, and I found out that most hunters just drive around and shoot deer from their vehicles. So all you really need is a tank full of gas and plenty of beer :rotf: .

Serioulsy, here's another hint that will help with just the muzzleloading part of hunting. Practice out in the field as though you were really hunting. Walk around and shoot at different objects at varying ranges. Practice reloading and swabbing while carrying everything you need on your body. Find out the best way to carry your possibles, and get a habit of carrying them the same way all the time, whether you use a bag or just your pockets. There was a post called "stump shooting" that explains what I'm talking about, you might peruse through it. Praticing this way will boost your confidence, and create habit of grabbing for the needed component (speed loader, powder, ball, ball starter, short starter, caps etc) without having to think about it in the heat of buck fever. You can decide what works best for you with this kind of practice, everyone does it a little differently. Bill

Hopefully you'll get an understanding Warden when he stops you, and you tell him you're hunting stumps.

Safety first. Bring along first aid stuff and more importantly, know how to use it! Tick repellant is also a plus.
I always trim my supplies and bring different things. You tweek it as you go.
Have a great time!

I think you have a pretty basic kit you want to be able to pull a ball, I would stay away from the quick loads and ball blocks there is usually no hurry to get a second shot let the Deer go a bit before following and we do not need to shoot then all the first day if you keep it simple you can more closely stay in touch with the way it used to be done and may find it more rewarding in the longrun.I enjoy the traditional hunt in as true a form as I can reasonably do it thus the above suggestions, the more modern gadgets and gizmos the farther one wanders from the true path.

jlkatzberg, you have a whole book of great advice. I can't add nor take away from any of it. I would like to comment on the hunt itself, might help you some. MLs stank! You keep the wind in mine. Check that weather monitor the night before and right before you start hunting for wind direction. Game will smell all of that patch lube and such and know its not right. Keep that wind in your face or hunt cross wind. Now, this is just my opinion and something I figered out for myself the first time I took an ML out after venison. I set the gun down by a tree to look in a hole I found (don't ask why, just the trapper in me) I stood up and caught a whif of borebutter. Sometimes with untraditional guns you can ease some on the wind if you took care of your body, but I believe you have to take extra care if you're packing a ML. Some may not agree, just my thoughts. Follow all the advice these other fellars gave you and you wont have to worry one bit about your medicine iron. :grin:

Latest posts

Back