• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Muzzleloader Score

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
What was your first game animal taken with a muzzleloader?

Mine was a fox squirrel, many, many moons ago...

Gray squirrel.

squirrel.gif

I think it was at 220 yards, but the memory is kind o' fuzzy.

'Course, they was tougher and taller back in them days. Ya carried a pistol so's ya could kill yourself and avoid the mauling if ya only wounded them with the rifle.

First deer with a muzzleloader of any kind was a 6 pointer with a .50cal Knight MK85 inline;
First deer with a .50cal TC Hawken percussion sidelock a couple years later were two does on the same morning;

A barn pigeon. If that doesn't count, then the next was a 20.3 lb tom turkey.

doe with a 40 yd heart shot that still ran 80 yds..............................bob

The good 'ol gray sqirrel.....with an 1851, brass framed Navy......I got really lucky!!!

Vic

8 pt. buck 45 cal tc hawken. shot through the heart form 25 yds. ( twice ).cover was real heavy and i wasn't sure i hit it the first shot.

Whitetail doe, 80 yards looking at me, 90 grains 2fg, Lyman GPH, 335 grain all lead h.p. sabot. Droped like a rock and never twitched. So did the doe! :haha: :haha:

Mule deer, killed a lot of ground squirrels, jackrabbits and
rockchucks before but they're not really game animals.

Tell that to the Conservation Officer when he peeks in your pouch. :: Small game and upland game still be game.

I've heard the hardest part about hunting mulies is finding a place on the truck to rest your gun so the blast won't scorch the paint. ::

truth about huntin' mulies. Ya don'ts hav ta mess up yer paint if'n ya don't get out of yer truck. Course ya sometimes breaks a winder and ya always fill the cab with smoke, but hey, what's a little broke glass and smoke? :: Seriously though, i usually hunt mulies by spotting them and then stalking or setting next to a well used trail. The last one i took i was setting next to a trail. Shot was about 25 yds. Went right down and didn't get up. Another one i spotted and stalked and then crawled the last 100 yds or so, until i was within 13 yds. I put a Buffalo Ball-ett right through the heart and lungs at that range, and it still ran about 80 yds. Since then i have switched to using only rd. balls, and have found that they do a better job of anchoring deer.

Nice 5 point Elk first time ever hunting. Can't wait for September to come around again.

The pre-patched balls are purty, and they save a bit of time getting that second shot off when you need it. Not that I ever have needed a second shot. :haha: Rookie luck. Can't say how jealous I am about all the experience on this forum.

Back