• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDave

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my used T/C Hawking out to the range for the first time today.

I only loaded it up with 60 grains 3Fg, and the roar was surprising!
Thank god for the two triggers, it was much easier making suspending expectation for the boom!
I'm looking forward to trying the max 100 grains 3Fg!

It was at the end of the shooting period and beginning to get a dark and it was covered so it was even darker, so I wasn't able to shoot much.

I shot 5 holes in a circle 4 inches around the center, not great, but it showed the gun shoots straight and I'm good to go trying at the 50 round range where when it's brighter and where it's not covered so I'll be able see the target better.

Fd91226.jpg

BigDave: Glad to hear you had fun.

I always get a kick out of first time muzzleloader shooters.
They always seem to come in three flavors. The,
"This old time kind of gun probably won't have much power...sort of like a big stinky .22 I bet!"

and the,

"I bet this huge bored monster is going to kick the manure out of me. I wonder why I ever thought I wanted to do this?"

and the,

"I've never loaded a gun with powder and a hunk of cloth and a lead ball before. I bet the dam thing won't even fire!"

Then they all raise the gun, take a cautious aim and squeeze the trigger.

The next thing all of them do is to get a great big s... eating grin on their face and say, "WOW! THAT"S REALLY NEAT! Where's that powder......"

Welcome. I shoot a T/C 50 also, great gun. Just a note, I don't know if this is a big deal or not but, I have always heard that when shooting 3f you should reduce by 15% vs. shooting 2f. My T/C manual states 110 grains 2f is the max charge for shooting PRB. So the max for 3f should be 93 grains. Like I said don't know if this (7 grains) is a big deal. Enjoy your shooting.

ayup, what stumpkiller said...

don't feel compelled to go straight to the max charge. tinker with the charge - ball - patch - lube combination until you can get the holes to touch at twenty five yards, whch i know can be done with a T/C renegade, 'cause i did it, much to the chagrin of my beer betting First Sergeant. (it was the only time i ever proved him wrong).

welcomt to the irrepressable fraternity of rockbangers and smokemakers!

Welcome to our addiction and glad you're having fun...but "Hawking"?

Ok Roundball.......you're up.

No turning back now! Counseling won't help, you are getting hooked. This is a lifeling hobby/sport. Enjoy

Welcome to the Club. I also have a T/C Hawken.
I shot 50 grains 3f Goex for target and general shooting and 90 grains 3f Goex for Hunting. These two loads have proved to be the most accurate in T/C Hawhens over the years for most people.

Robert

Thanks folks!

I plan on working my way up to a hunting load and shoot that all the time so I have a defined trajectory no matter what I'm doing.

I'll be making my own black powder so the cost or availability of powder really isn't a issue.

BigDave said:
I'll be making my own black powder so the cost or availability of powder really isn't a issue.

Welcome to the fray, but can you legally do that?

Whether he can or can't, discussing it here on the Forum is not permitted.

I hate to be this way about it but, once the subject is brought up it always gets into the hows and how nots of making powder. That is of course, against the rules for discussion.

Zonie,

I understand that the discussions of how to are verboten, and was not looking to drive the discussion there. I was just curious to see if there is a state that allows it, that is all. I understand your wanting to nip a discussion in the bud before it crosses the line though.

Latest posts

Back