• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jf19451

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at a gun show in January, and saw a Flintlock that looked awesome. I never shot Black Powder before, and I figured if you are going to go that route, it has to be a Flintlock. My wife actually talked me into buying it, (it wasn’t cheap) and am I glad she did. I brought it to Dixon’s and had them check it out. They told me it was a good gun, and that I got a good deal on it. They also set me up with Powder, .018 patches, and .440 balls. It is a .45 Caliber slow twist barrel.
I finally got to the range last week and shot it for the first time. Fantastic!! I was blown away by it’s accuracy. I want to thank this forum for all the info I read prior to going to the range, and the guys at Dixon’s. It gave me the confidence to load it up and pull the trigger. Thanks again.

:grin: You do realize that you have started down the slippery slope of addiction and there is no help for you now? :haha:

Excellent. Another one addicted.

5286409877_245835838d.jpg

Way to go, taking the leap into black powder shooting. What make/model did you buy? I agree that Chuck and Greg Dixon are great guys and very helpful in despensing advice and supplies for shooting black powder. Make sure you check out their annual Gunmaker's Fair at the end of July. You can find everyting you need there from flints to custom muzzleloaders.

I tried to upload a Photo but I have no idea how to do it. As far as a description, it has a Large Siler Lock, Brown Octagon Barrel, and Dark Tiger figured wood.

Open an account with Photobucket and follow the instructions for copying to a forum after you have uploaded your pics.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

jf19451 said:
I was at a gun show in January, and saw a Flintlock that looked awesome. I never shot Black Powder before, and I figured if you are going to go that route, it has to be a Flintlock. My wife actually talked me into buying it, (it wasn’t cheap) and am I glad she did. I brought it to Dixon’s and had them check it out. They told me it was a good gun, and that I got a good deal on it. They also set me up with Powder, .018 patches, and .440 balls. It is a .45 Caliber slow twist barrel.
I finally got to the range last week and shot it for the first time. Fantastic!! I was blown away by it’s accuracy. I want to thank this forum for all the info I read prior to going to the range, and the guys at Dixon’s. It gave me the confidence to load it up and pull the trigger. Thanks again.

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Most folks start with a percussion gun and move "back" to flintlock. The flintlock can be a bit more fussy than a percussion gun but properly tuned and loaded and with a bit of practice they are more fun. That is a nice looking gun and I am sure you will enjoy it.

I'm glad I don't live near Dixon's-----------I'd stay broke.

Actually I've been to Dixon's the last two years for the fair, and enjoyed it very much. I love that place, and really do wish it weren't so far away. I could spend 8 hours in that place, and still never see everything.

What rifle did you get?

The way I figured it, if I bought a Percussion gun it would only be a matter of time before I got a Flintlock, so why mess around. I ran cleaning patches between shots and had absolutely no problems. I was also amazed at the recoil being more of a push than a jolt. There is just something so cool about an old technology that works so well.
I want to thank RFD for putting the pictures of my gun on the forum.

i admit to being biased - rock locks are just waaaay more fun than cap locks and really not at all more difficult. just a tad more of a challenge, and yet can be every bit as accurate as any percussion, if not more so.

for me, a good comparison is why i'd rather shoot my rem 1911 .45acp pistol over one of those shlock 9mm. :haha: :v

Back