• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First muzzleloading elk hunt...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, this is it!
I'm down to the one week mark before my first muzzleloader elk hunt in Colorado. I've killed my fair share of whitetail with a muzzleloader over the years, but that was back east on my family farm before I moved to Colorado 20 years ago.
I've taken eight elk, but all with a bow. I'm a seasoned and experienced elk hunter, but wanted to reach out to the collective to get any suggestions, or tricks of the trade, for muzzleloading for elk that anyone might have to offer.
I'm hunting with a T/C Hawken, percussion, 54 caliber with a round ball in southern Colorado.

Pretty much the same as bow hunting. When I have hunted them in first rifle even though the rut is winding down the bulls are still excited at the idea of finding an estrus cow and can be really stupid over an in heat cow call.

Back