• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First post here fellas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfnc2003

Pilgrim
Reaction score
First post here fellas.

Id like to offer my opinion on the subject.
A little history behind myself and how I stumbled across this site. Ive been communicating back and forth for a few years with Roundball on a local deer forum here in NC. Out of curiosty for traditional muzzleloaders Id rag the guy with questions and ask for advice. Id only hunted with inlines previously and had no desire to get into traditional hunting. It wasnt long until I realized, the inline I was hunting with was just as capable (in the areas I hunt) of killing a deer at the same ranges as my rifle. After taking many deer with these guns, I began to feel like the "challenge" of the hunt wasnt there. (As I feel when toting my .270)....I picked up bowhunting lastyear as an added "challenge" for me in my hunting career. Got lucky and connected with my first deer by bow this year. Id been reading different forums and speaking with different people the last year or so about wanting to get into traditional muzzleloading. Just so happened, by luck, I was given a T/C .50 Hawken early this week by dads fiance' who has had this gun since her father died. I emailed back and forth with roundball who got me a list of all I needed to start off with this gun. All I can say about the first time pulling the trigger on this gun is WOW! :bow: I had found shooting to be FUN again! With no scope I actually forgot just how far 75 yards REALLY IS. :shocked2: (Thinking to myself, "You wanted a challenge, well you got one now")
Anyhow, I got it sighted in at 3 inch groups at 50 yards. Headed out this morning opening day and landed myself a healthy big ole' doe. 67 yards and the roundball dropped her in her tracks.
Our ML season here in NC is only a week long. After todays experience in the woods Id have to say that I would definetely support a ruling to make ML season traditional only. The sense of pride I got from this old nanny was nothing like Id ever experienced. What I really enjoyed was the sense of being part of something that so many before me did just to be able to eat at times.
Pretty neat stuff. Once again thanks to roundball for all the help. I look forward to learning many new things here on the forum.

Welcome!

glad that you and Roundball hooked up and you found "our thing" interesting enough to give you the "bug".

Brett

bfnc,
Welcome to the MLF glad to have you with
us. Congrats on your first M/L deer. Lots of
great folks and info here. Hope you will visit
often and contribute when you can.
again welcome and stay active
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Hi, welcome aboard! Congrats on the hunt. That sounds like a wonderful way to get into traditional muzzleloaders. It's always great getting in touch with the way the old timers did things. Sometimes, for all our high tech gadgetry, we lose the real experience and are poorer for it.

Hello from NC & welcome. I too picked up BP hunting for the first time this year. Got a cowhorn on the last day of Eastern ML season and a button buck on the 1st day of Central ML season. I believe that I'm going to use this rifle (a t/c .50 hawken) all through regular season.
bramble

Latest posts

Back