• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First roosters this season.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First pheasants of this season for me today.

Took my double frontloader and I was glad I had.

The first bird ran out in front of me and lifted, flying away and right I aimed down his right and dropped the hammer.

As he crumpled another bird appeared and did a similar move.

Good distance shots around thirty yards, maybe a little more.

B.

very nice, reminds me of the days when there were tons of wild pheasants where i live, wow i miss those days!!!!

Makes my mouth water! And you overcame my biggest challenge with a double- finding a second target through the big cloud of white smoke. Of course I'm looking through the white for white rabbits on white snow!

Britsmoothy said:
How a picture or two BB? I don't believe your avatar!

Hunting pics are in short supply because I seldom carry a camera (and never a phone) on hunts. Sans snow, here's a typical snowshoe hare:

And here are a couple more photos from last week, neighbors if you will on a creek half a mile down the road. The solo passed through our yard and I followed her down to the creek for a shot:

Britsmoothy said:

Oh, dear me. What is that? I hadn't considered a muzzleloading shotgun and now I think I'm in love. Are there build kits available?

BrownBear said:
Britsmoothy said:
How a picture or two BB? I don't believe your avatar!

Hunting pics are in short supply because I seldom carry a camera (and never a phone) on hunts. Sans snow, here's a typical snowshoe hare:

And here are a couple more photos from last week, neighbors if you will on a creek half a mile down the road. The solo passed through our yard and I followed her down to the creek for a shot:

:hatsoff:

B.

mahkagari said:
Britsmoothy said:

Oh, dear me. What is that? I hadn't considered a muzzleloading shotgun and now I think I'm in love. Are there build kits available?
It's an early Pedersoli from the seventies.
Pedersoli do or did do kits.
This gun is alot lighter than the current models. This one is just over 6lb.

B.

Congrats on the roosters Mr.B.

BB , that mommy bear looks a little skinny!

I’d mind my P’s & Q’s around her. LOL

Actual I would most likely soil my britches ! :redface:

Great photos Guys , Thank you both for posting them.

Congratulations Nate, well done :bow: . Does Great Britain have a season on Pheasants, or an open season like your rabbits and squirrels? Does Jess help locate them either before or after the shot? Inquiring minds want to know. Keep yer powder dry...”¦....robin

smo said:
BB , that mommy bear looks a little skinny!

Good eye SMO. She ancient and had her cubs very late this year. Every other sow around here is already filled out in winter coat, but she's still hanging onto her summer coat. The cubs are about half size and still wearing prominent milk rings in their coats. She's so old I'm frankly surprised she had another litter, and the late delivery probably spells late estrus, maybe even "menopause babies." She probably doesn't top 700 pounds, and on her frame I'd expect her to be more like 850, maybe topping 900 by this time of the year. We have our fingers crossed that the cubs make it, but we're not real hopeful.

Upon closer look, in fact the solo is the same sow. They were both at the creek when I got there, and I got my apples and oranges mixed. Mama isn't bringing her cubs near the house, due mostly I think to a certain barking dog. :grin:

Great outing Nate. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing. Brings back a lot of good memories as I haven't pheasant hunted in years. When I was going to University in Wisconsin, we'd slip over to Iowa at every opportunity to hunt them. Birds galore!!! This was when a few college kids could knock on a door or stop a farmer on his tractor and get permission to hunt. I doubt things are that way now, sadly.

Best regards, Skychief

Deputy Dog said:
Congratulations Nate, well done :bow: . Does Great Britain have a season on Pheasants, or an open season like your rabbits and squirrels? Does Jess help locate them either before or after the shot? Inquiring minds want to know. Keep yer powder dry...”¦....robin
Yes sir October 1st to February 1st for pheasant.
Jess will indeed pop a pheasant up and 'pounce' on a downed bird, far from ideal in bird dog manners but often useful. Not having her from a pup has limited what I can do with her. That is why she is often on a leash! I often have to chastise her some, she is to keen sometimes!

B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on ye, Brit! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's been a long while since I've had a nice double on ringnecks like that. Our season opener is in a couple of weeks, but I will be in New Jersey for a family birthday party. NOT my choice, but if the Wife isn't happy....

Richard/Grumpa

Grumpa said:
Good on ye, Brit! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's been a long while since I've had a nice double on ringnecks like that. Our season opener is in a couple of weeks, but I will be in New Jersey for a family birthday party. NOT my choice, but if the Wife isn't happy....

Richard/Grumpa

I understand, nothing wrong in yielding to the good lady :hatsoff:

Thanks y'all.

B.

Latest posts

Back