• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Scratch Built Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mah7039

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my first rifle from a plank of wood. I have built 2 kits, the first was a TC Hawken in 1982, then a Traditions Ky Rifle last Christmas, then I had to try this. Wow, I have learned a lot, I had much guidance from Gunsmith Ken Netting and he did the engraving for me. Thank-You Ken, I am very happy with this gun. Cherry purchased from Dick Miller at Gun Makers Hall last spring in Friendship it has a nice figure and some flame in it, a 40cal Coleraine swamped barrel, Lg siler flintlock, Davis dbl triggers, brass from Track. Comments welcome.

DSC005092.jpg

DSC005002.jpg

DSC005022.jpg

Beautiful wood ! That is a fine looking rifle, Simple yet elegant... I hope you build many more !!!!

I am jealous of your talent. I think that you did a great job for you first time. It really makes my first attempt from a parts assembly look like a real POS... :applause: :thumbsup:

Great looking rifle, and a great first post! :thumbsup: How many hours did you have tied up in her?

Impressive talent...pretty wood, great eye appeal !!
:thumbsup:

( how long is the barrel? )

I don't even begin to think I have the talent for something like that. I certainly would be pround to own it. Nice job

Besides the gorgeous cherry and overall appeal of your rifle, I like the finish on the barrel. When are you taking orders? :wink: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the good comments. I never kept track of how much time I spent on the rifle, it was a 6 month project, but usually an hour at a time, in the evenings and maybe a few hours on the weekends, the barrel is 42", I still need to make a ramrod for her.

Nice work.

I like your metal and wood treatments.

You really brought out the flame in that cherry and the grey metal treatment complements the wood's color very well.

Thanks for posting it. Enjoy, J.D.

DSC005022.jpg
[/quote]

I'll take 2..... 40 cal and 36 where do I send the check :thumbsup:

mah7039 said:
the barrel is 42"
Should be sweet...my .40 is a 38" and I've since wished it had a 42" for some extra weight...but I added a solid brass ramrod and that extra weight out front settled things down a lot.
Looks like you did a great job and should really enjoy it...
:thumbsup:

Congratulations on a great looking rifle! Please tell me "Easy as pie. ANYONE can do it." :wink: - John

Very nice, hard to tell that was the first attempt at a scratch build. I'll just echo what Mike said about Ken as a mentor. He has been my go to guy when I need "adult supervision" on a built.

Latest posts

Back