• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Scratch Built Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice gun. That Cherry really stands out. Congrats on a great job. I couldn't even think about doing that myself. Rick. :hatsoff:

I agree with Ricky and KHickam about the stock. That is as nice a cherry stock as I have ever seen. :thumbsup:

Again, thanks for the votes of confidence! I am already thinking about the next project, possibly a octagon-round barrel fowler??? I will use the same metal treatment that Ken taught me: after normal draw file then emery cloth, seal the barrel up (cork in muzzle and tooth pick in vent hole) you splatter bluing on it then emmerse in pure bleach for 30 min. It comes out a rusted mess! Rub it down with water and a Green Scotch pad, it will leave pit marks a plenty! (the bleach eats at the bluing, hense the splatters, I try for a combination of small dots and large spots) Now ready for bluing the whole thing, then use a clean pad with oil and rub that down lightly until you get where you want it. We used Formula 44/40 instant bluing.

I don't build 'em. I just shoot 'em.

But I also salivate over beautifully built objects, of which your gun is definitely one of.

Somebody said it, I think; simple elegance. I'll go with that.

And...you have every reason to feel proud. Genuinely.

And to kind of quote Swampy, that cherry wood burns up the landscape. Nice......

Thanks for sharing which method you used on the barrel. Did you do the same for the lock?

Oh, and don't forget, wood treatment?

Thanks and again, nice work. :hatsoff: J.D.

The lock did not get the bleach treatment, just instant blue then rubbed down with the oily Scotch pad. Same with the triggers, no bleach. The cherry was stained using a mixture of leather dyes 2 parts Cordova, 1 part Red Mahogany , 4 parts alcohol. 1 coat did it. I wanted the reddish look over something that would be confused as walnut. On top of that BLO.

Thanks. I'm always curious what others use....especially when it looks good :wink:

Leather dies, eh? I thought you may have used the old lye and sunlight method to bring out the red in that cherry.

Again, your metal and wood colors turned out striking....i.m.h.o. and your work is tight.

Thanks again and keep up the good work :hatsoff: , J.D.

late to the party, but must say that's the nicest cherry stock i've seen. nailed the color with dyes...and i'll add cherry back to my list o logs to slab.

carry on.

still working on my first plank (and ever) build.

WOW what a great piece!! :hatsoff: I am a cherry lover as well!
Enjoy it in good health. :thumbsup:
Dusty :wink:

Latest posts

Back