• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took my Bucks-ey/Lehighcaster out for it's first shots by me today. 42" swamped barrel on a gorgeously flamed stock with a lock that could use a tune-up, but sparks well enough. Shot about ten shots. Cleaned with a water patch after each shot and swabbed with patches till cleanish.

Load was 60gr 3f Goex. .490 Hornady SLRB on .018 ticking lubed with a bear grease concoction, patch cut at muzzle. Primed with Goex 4f.

The shots on the X and the far right high flier are all fliers. X was point of aim. Grouping is consistently low right. Since it was first time shooting this gun I just wanted to get a group. Range was 54 paces. Rest was two old highback, low seat table chairs, one as a seat, and the back of the other was a rest. The fliers are a disappointment, but the grouping is fine when I do my part. Previous owner had a ramrod mark that appears after my shooting to have been 65 grains if he just shot a prb over over powder. After 9 or 10 shots was going to bump it up to bring it where that gentleman had the load but discovered I had only brought my 60gr measure, so just ran with it. All in all, a good first outing.

Attachments

• 20211121_153845.jpg
    20211121_153845.jpg
    97.9 KB
Resting a rifle on any hard surface can cause scattered shots since the barrel vibrations can't be absorbed like they can when resting on sandbags and other such. I usually hold the forend (about where the entry pipe is) and rest the back of my hand on whatever support I'm stuck with - if it's not good padding.

Resting a rifle on any hard surface can cause scattered shots since the barrel vibrations can't be absorbed like they can when resting on sandbags and other such. I usually hold the forend (about where the entry pipe is) and rest the back of my hand on whatever support I'm stuck with - if it's not good padding.
Yeah, I took a sand bag with me, but shooting at the in-laws is a chore, so I winged it.

Back