• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefP

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Let me start out saying I'm a total newb to muzzleloaders. Tomorrow I'm going out to try and find everything I need to fire. I've been reading everything I can get my eyes on, including the manual from the T/C website. For now, I'm going to stick with round balls, unless I can't find them. I should add that I've got a .54 T/C Renegade. Black powder in FF(?), patches, lube, balls, #11 caps, bore cleaner...am I forgetting something? My local Wally World has these gunpowder 'pellets' on sale - are these OK for this gun and are they recommended?

Issue 2 will be finding a suitable place to fire this weapon, but I've got a couple places in mind. If all goes well, I'm going to try to put holes in paper at 50 and 100 yards. As far as loads go, the book says to start out with 60 grains. Any opinions on that? Thanks in advance for any replies; I really need/appreciate the help!
Dave

I wouldn't recommend the pellets in your sidelock. Get loose powder (ffg), a measure, and a bullet starter. That should get you started.

:v Welcome to the forum. The "pellet powder" that you mention was made for the "other unmentionable" Mz ldrs and very well may not fire at all in your side-lock. I believe that you'll have best results with Bp in FFg or FFFg granulations, Pyrodex FFg and FFFg will work also.
.530 Rb with a .010" patch over 60 grs as a starter. You may need a slightly thicker patch for best accuracy, depends on your barrel dimensions. I'd start with the .010" and get some experience with the gun, loading and cleaning proceedures before you get into searching for the perfect load.
You should have a nipple pick and a wrench, .530'Rb, .010" Patches, Bp or Pyro FFg or FFFg. Spit works fine for target/plinking as it keeps the fouling soft and you are shooting shortly after loading. But first you need to ensure that the barrel and flash channel from the nipple to the barrel are oil FREE and DRY, then you will have no problem with failure to fire.
A short starter and a good ram rod with a proper cleaning jag, you are good to go, targets, ear protection and if you can find a local club the members will likely adopt you and get the ball rolling. Have fun you've made a good start! :v

Thanks guys.
Here's how green I am: I put 'nipple pick' in the ebay search box to find out what it was! Let's just say that there are more than one definition of 'nipple pick' in the world and leave it at that....... :hmm:

Funnier still, turns out I already have one! The fella I bought it from handed me a little bag full of stuff that turns out to be the pick, measure, ball starter, jag, ball puller and another little doo-dad with a couple of wires sticking out with a name I can't recall. I think it's for retrieving patches?

Should I have another rod in addition to the wooden rod under the barrel?

If you can't find black powder, don't be afraid to try Triple Seven 2F it will work just find in your rifle and has a longer shelf life than prodex. See if you can find a good range rod, cleaning and loading with the rod that comes with the rifle is a pain in the butt. A nylon bore guide (Muzzle loader's builders supply) will protect your crown on the barrel. I have used both CCI #11 mag caps as well as standard CCI #11 caps with good results. I go with the mag caps when hunting and using Triple Seven. Don't forget to get a nipple wrench.

Here's what I got with my purchase:

DSCF0006.jpg

Not crazy about the case, but not complaining!

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

The serial # begins with the letter "K". Does this mean this is a kit gun?
I started to pull out the steel wool and try to get some of the brown and light rust off of the barrel, but in the end, I just wiped everything down with hoppes #9, then a dry rag and then a lightly oiled rag. I ran a few patches down the barrel with #9 and they came back clean. Ran another with light oil and put it away.

Thats a nice looking rifle! I didnt catch what you paid for it but the seller set you up pretty good. Some patches, round ball powder and caps is all it looks like you need.

now Im jealous! Thats a good deal from what I see. Enjoy your new rifle, I expect you will be as addicted to these things as we all are. Case in point, I went up to shoot last evening. A fellow where I was had a new AR-15. I didnt have any problem at all going nice and slow and just putting a couple rounds down range per clip he fired! Dont get me wrong; I like the new guns, but there is something magical too me about my smoke pole!

See if you can find a 3/8" dia. delrin rod for loading and cleaning. It won't break. Or find a fiberglass rod. CVA used to market those. Just use a bore guide with the fiberglass. You can put a handle on the end of the rod to make it a bit easier on your hand during loading.

For patch material, you can use the blue and white striped pillow ticking. Wash it a couple of times to get the sizing out. I iron the ticking and then cut it into strips about 1 3/8" wide. To save time later, I cut the patches square and toss them into a container.

A good lube is an absolute must.

It all works for me and my Thompson. It has for years and no problems. :thumbsup:

For what you paid for the rifle, you stole it.

You gotta a concealed weapons permit? If I'd gotten a Renegade and all the toys you got for $125 I'd figure the buyer saw the bulge of the 1911 and didn't wanna argue.... :surrender:

Very nice price indeed on that rifle and setup.

The investment in good quality powder and caps is worth it in the long run.

Have an awesome time!

A good range rod is very handy. I've been using one like this one for over 30 years: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_99_320&products_id=1302 . Comes with a cleaning jag and ball puller. Track of the Wolf has a sale on their economy powder horn: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=1&subId=12&styleId=40&partNum=HORN-D . Can't beat it for $9.99. For the strap, go to Wal-Mart and pick a pair of leather boot laces. Congradulations on your purchase :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those websites are great! I'm compiling a wish list right now. Is a horn the best way to carry the powder?
I didn't get out yesterday, but maybe today and I'll see what I can find at wally world and dick's. There's a couple of clubs in my area, too and I'll email them and see what they have to offer. Thanks everyone!

Here is one thing I wish I had done that would have saved me a great deal of time and money as a beginner.

Pick out a time in history that appeals to you the most, do a bit of reading and research that identifies what was typically carried/used/worn for the time you and your rifle represent... and gear your purchases toward that time.

Until then don't spend a lot on any one item, until you know it is what you want for sure.

Also... I am very partial to a good powder horn. If the horn is well made and the seals are tight and the plugs fit well... a powder horn can't be beat. I have two, a large one for my rifle and a smaller one I carry for use with my pistol.

When I started looking for supplies locally, I was pretty bummed that every place I knew of either didn't have anything because of the 'season' (funny about that season thing, cause there sure are a lot of 30-06 & the like on the shelves) or they were getting away from bp altogether. I finally found one shop that did and does carry supplies all year long. Now that I'm equipped with what I need, I don't have another day off until Thursday. Hoping for some good weather!

Back