• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your BP Rifle.
After looking at your reloading supplies I suggest you find a ball puller with a longer screw.
I have a TC with the short screw and tried to pull out a ball so I wouldn’t have to shoot the gun to unload it.
All I did was strip out the hole the short screw made.
After looking in my collection of supplies I found one with the longer screw and the ball came right out.
Might save you some aggravation if you ever dry ball while at the range or on a hunting trip.

Just something to think about.

Ordered that horn today! Thanks again for the website. Anyone got a puller with a longer screw they wanna get rid of? If so, PM me and we'll talk.

ChefP said:
Ordered that horn today! Thanks again for the website. Anyone got a puller with a longer screw they wanna get rid of? If so, PM me and we'll talk.

When you get that horn blow in the small end and make sure air doesn't leak out before you put any powder in it. Some of those cheaper horns are made well, others not so much. If air leaks past the big end plug you can seal it with bees wax, epoxy, or whatever you have that will work.

Don't worry too much about a longer ball screw. Looks like the one you have is about as long as your ball is deep anyway. A longer screw could drill all the way thru the ball and still pull out leaving you worse off than you were before.
If anything, look for a slightly wider screw. Then, if the smaller screw pulls out, you have a second chance.

If you have a dry ball situation you can usually remove the nipple and put a few grains of powder in thru the hole to shoot the ball out. There are also CO2 devices available to clear your barrel. An air compressor with a rubber-tipped blow gun works well. A REALLY stuck ball can be pumped out with grease thru the nipple hole.
A ball with a hole all the way thru is harder to get out and leaves you with fewer options.

Jethro224 said:
ChefP said:

When you get that horn blow in the small end and make sure air doesn't leak out before you put any powder in it. Some of those cheaper horns are made well, others not so much. If air leaks past the big end plug you can seal it with bees wax, epoxy, or whatever you have that will work.

Don't worry too much about a longer ball screw. Looks like the one you have is about as long as your ball is deep anyway. A longer screw could drill all the way thru the ball and still pull out leaving you worse off than you were before.
If anything, look for a slightly wider screw. Then, if the smaller screw pulls out, you have a second chance.

If you have a dry ball situation you can usually remove the nipple and put a few grains of powder in thru the hole to shoot the ball out. There are also CO2 devices available to clear your barrel. An air compressor with a rubber-tipped blow gun works well. A REALLY stuck ball can be pumped out with grease thru the nipple hole.
A ball with a hole all the way thru is harder to get out and leaves you with fewer options.

I will have to disagree with you on not needing a longer screw ball puller.
The newer TC Kits come with the longer screw now. Hum I wonder why maybe the shorter ones were a problem.
It is up to the shooter to use whatever he wants I know it was a problem for me.

I having a thought (sometimes a dangerous thing for me...) Is there any way to tell if this barrel is completely empty? I mean, I bought it off the wall of a shop, in used condition. I've read posts where folks have bought barrels that had a (dry)ball stuck in them. I suppose maybe measure the barrel to the end and then measure the rod after dropping it in? There are no pencil marks anywhere on the rod. Put a cap on it and fire in a safe direction? My wife asked this and it got me to thinking. I may have a need to find out if the puller I have really is long enough. I don't expect there to be anything in there, but isn't it the unexpected that gets ya?

(1) As to pulling a ball, which we all have (had) to do: I suggest putting some water or Mixture down bore and let it sit a little bit (plug your touchhole first with a toothpick or similar) before drawing the ball, makes pulling easier. I made a small wood piec with holes drilled a little larger than the diameter of my rod, slip that over the rod when pulling the ball, makes things much easier (2) Run the rod down your bore and put a little piece of masking tape at the muzzle. Withdraw and lay next to the gun, and see if the end is all the way down to the touchhole, it will show if there is a charge in the gun. God Bless, Ron in Fl

Hello! Great deal you got on that T/C!

In regards to your question about whether or not it's loaded...

If you have a bore light or even a flashlight, simply remove the nipple, shine the light into the nipple hole while looking down the barrel. If you see light, you're clear. Once you know it's clear, drop your ramrod down the barrel and mark your ramrod at the muzzel. From that point on you'll always know if your gun is empty by dropping the rod down the barrel and looking at the mark.

Sorry I forgot we were in the percussion section. Of course I mean measure down to the nipple, and close the hammer down on wadding over the nipple when drawing the ball, to prevent the water running out. You got a swell buy and will have lots of enjoyment. Good smoke, Ron

If you are not sure about the ramrod length to check a charge.

One easy way to find out if an in store BP rifle is loaded.
Blow down the barrel and feel the nipple or touch hole for escaping air.
If you feel no air then if they will let you remove the nipple and try again.
If you don't feel any escaping air take the barrel off if practical set the barrel in a bucket of water and pour a couple cups of water down the barrel.
If you don't want to pull the barrel plug the nipple or touch hole and pour some water down the barrel.
You can use oil if you wish.
This will help lubricate a patched ball and deactivate the powder.
Then pull the ball/bullet or sabot with bullet.
Do not assume that a on the shelf used rifle is unloaded.
Do not try shooting a cap to see if it is unloaded.
You may shoot a hole in your wall or a person.

Call me silly but I don't stick any barrel into my mouth. Especially one that might have a live charge of powder under some sort of projectile.

A much safer way to see if the gun is loaded is to run the ramrod down the bore until it stops.

While putting your thumbnail on the side of the ramrod, grab it and pull it back out of the barrel.

Lay the ramrod along side the barrel and use your thumbs location for positioning it from the muzzle.

If the lower end of the ramrod is more than 3/4 of an inch in front of the rear of the barrel or in front of the split line between the rear of the barrel and the snail breech plug you can figure the gun is loaded.

I measured the rod vs. barrel and was 99% sure there was nothing in the barrel.

I took the gun outside in the backyard and put a cap on and fired into the bank. Only the cap fired and the weeds moved, so the gun was empty after all.

I went up to my buddy's place and fired the gun about a dozen times under his advice and supervision. We were shooting around 50 yards at coffee cans (loaded with water :) ) and I only missed once. We were shooting offhand, so I'm pretty excited about that! It was a really, really great time and I learned a lot and we both had a fantastic time. We shot mine and then his .45 hawken and put a couple of shots through his .58 longrifle, too. It didn't hurt that it was a sunny day and around 75 degrees! That doesn't happen very often in this neck of the woods.

Safe to say, I love shooting this gun! He lent me a couple of his muzzleloader books and I spent much of the night reading through them. I did find out that it was easier to load the gun if I swabbed it after every couple of shots. I did a thorough cleaning after I got home, too.

Thanks so much to everyone on this board for all of your valuable advice and guidance. It made a huge difference and shortened the learning curve quite a bit. I know I've got a lot more to learn, but have a pretty solid foundation.

I have one just like it serial # is a 4 digit, I use a .530 hornady RB & 70 vol 2F with a very use levi denim patch (my old levi's) w/a wasp nest wad for hunting, they never get up. I almost have no bluing on mine anymore from use.

Good find..

Back