• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First smokepole buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

relicshunter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I took a pig last year at the end of the season, but just had not gotten a deer yet with it. We had gotten a returned quota for a late mz hunt at a local wma. I was able to get off of work early Friday and headed over to reacquaint ourselves with the place( been a couple of years). The first day didn't bring anything but other hunters walking into a clearing by me and getting set up in chairs. Didn't have high hopes in the first day with the moon and no scouting. Saw a group of hogs on the way to the truck but they were on a mission to somewhere. We picked a different area for today and went in, found some light rubs and good feeding areas and set up. Almost set up to close to a pignut hickory. I listened to the little bombs drop for the next 30 mins, and then gentle footsteps. Saw his dark head and determined it was a legal buck, maybe a 4 point. He was slowly moving along the rub line and had two openings for me. Perfect set up, the second one allowed me to brace against the tree I was on and I had time to pace his steps( I didn't want hit too far back). The smoke cleared the opposite way he ran so I saw most of the exit and heard a great big crash. Upon retrieval I found him to be a nice 7 point, 132 lbs, check station estimated him at 3.5 years old.
The 45 cal Kentucky long rifle took out the whole top of the heart and one lung. Very happy with the performance of the patch and ball.

Congratulations on a nice buck. You'll never forget that first one taken with a ML. :hatsoff:

great photo,nice buck. that looks just like my first muzzle loader i got when i was 14. thanks for sharing your hunt.

Congratulations on a real nice buck and great shooting!

A great story and fine picture.
He is a trophy to be proud of.
I suggest getting that photo framed.
It is a lot cheaper then getting it mounted and
tells more of a story.
The hunter, the gun, the weather, the woods, the deer.
Perfect.

PJC

You have upheld the fine old tradition by going out and doing it right!
Enjoy the good eatin', the good stories, and the good memories. You have earned them. Hang those antlers with pride. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

A great way to start the day, reading this story. Congrats on a fine kill. I am happy for you.

Jeff

Back