• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First smoothie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking to get my first smooth bore and I have a couple of questions. FIrst, I am looking for something that would be correct for a Rev war/ early fur trade/ 1812 era. I was looking at a sitting fox early english trade gun. Would this fit the bill? http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders...sh Trade Gun/K11 Early English Trade Gun.html
Second, what do you all think about sitting fox guns? Are they good quality? I am not new to BP guns, I have been shooting them for 13 years. I am fairly new to flinters.
Marshall

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with the same gun from North Starr West, I have had two of their guns and they are top notch and the owner is very customer friendly and helpfull.The sitting Fox barrel looks to be from tubing? as the oct part is not tapered, I believe the NSW guns have a taper in the oct section. I have had a gun with no taper and it felt akward,and looks funky, a phone call to Sitting Fox could clear this up maybe the photo is giving an illusion that the oct part has no taper..

tg, I think you are correct, as I look at the pictures it does seem the bbl is not tapered. I also looked at the club butt and it appears to be tapered. Not sure if that helps but a phone call would clear the muddy waters. :idunno:
Dusty :wink:

If you look closely at the gun and then at the parts set at the bottom of the page you will notice that the gun is not made from the same parts that he is showing. Trigger, buttplate, serpent are all different. The parts set doesn't show any wrist escusion. The barrel is (deleted comment)

This inconsistency is, well, consistent throughout his website when you look at the other guns offered.

'Dog

I am glad someone brought that up 'Dog I was trying to be nice this time around,I like the write up on the way original guns from Tulle were usually stocked in Walnut or Maple and the C/D lecture is interesting to say the least,C being a fin gun and D being an ordinare is a pot o' manure, any way, one cannot go wrong with NSW.

though I've never owned a NSW gun I have a friend who owned one in .62. I've never heard ANY complaints about their quality and they seem to have a sterling reputation. Some simply don't like that style of gun and find them unpleasant to fire. But that's true of almost any prb gun made.

I appreciate all the opinions, but nobody has answered either of my questions.
Marshall

First the Early English would be correct from the F&I on

second, the maker you mentioned shows inaccurate advertisments and may use incorrect parts, from a PC stanpoint which goes back to the first question, if the gun is not PC then it is not correct for the periods mentioned. if you are stuck on that builder then purchase as you choose, I would not recommend any builder/supplier who missrepresents (in a PC/HC way) any of their products which is the case with some of the guns offered by the supplier you have mentioned.They may make a quality product but be historicaly WRONG, again this takes us back to the first question.

That's what I was lookin for. I never said I was stuck on sitting fox. I simply asked a question about this maker. I was already looking at a NSW kit or in the white or a kit from TOTW. I leave options open and research the best product before I buy. That means asking questions. Don't read so much into it.
Marshall

" Don't read so much into it"

OK, I will not read any further post with questions about guns/suppliers from you at all, it does not matter to me what or where you buy, good luck with your choice.

Wow buddy. That's mighty big of you. :rotf: :idunno:
I just asked a question. If you want to act like a child about it that's fine with me.

Welcome to the forum, mjn. You'll make friends here and you will know who they are. You will also meet a few who couldn't care less about you and your interest in the old guns. Notice how it doesn't take long to find both?

Hey Hanshi,
Oh, I've watched this forum for a couple of years. I know who the jacka$$e$ are. To be fair TG was giving his opinion to me, but didn't like it when I pointed out that he did not answer my question. Hell I have thick skin. Thanks for the welcome.
Marshall

mjn, i bought my first kit from sitting fox. would never get another. when i had a problem with the lock he told me to call tvm thats where the kit was shipped from.his prices also were differnt from what he showed in his web site.. he was nice to talk with but for the money i would go with someone else..randy at tennessee valley manufacturing is a really good guy. that is where sitting fox fowlers kits come from...pecatonica is also really nice to work with..hope tyhis helps ......

Thank you sir. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.
Marshall

Check out Jim Chambers. He has a couple HC fowler kits. NSW would be another one to look at. Depends on your skill level/ experience. I wouldn't touch Sitting Fox or TVM.

Let's be sure that mjn knows there are two TVM's. Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, with Matt & Toni Avance, is a superb outfit to deal with. And their Fowler is a good one if that style will do. For the first time builder, their kits are the best because a lot of the tricky fitting is already done.

Thanks Le Grand, I was aware of them both. I was leaning towards NSW. What do you all think of the kits from Track of the wolf. I have never built a kit before but I would try it if I can't find a ready made gun that I like.
Marshall

mjn, I would not recommend a kit from TOTW for a first try. The kits from NSW are much more specific, made with parts that are made just for the kit you want. In other words, parts that fit with other parts. Go with NSW and you'll get a lot of help if you need it. One other point, NSW kits come with instructions plus brown for the barrel and finishing oil for the stock. I've not heard of other kits that are so complete.

Well, I think I've narrowed it down to an in the white early english trade gun from NSW or a kit of the same or a fowler kit from TVM. I really appreciate all the help.
Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back