• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First squirrel for the 2011 season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorAaron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I recentally got my fowler from a local gun shop and learned how to shoot it. I was patterning many loads almost anything i could think of and was not successful. well i learned that 2f works great for the roundball but for shot 3f makes a very nice pattern at 30 yds. I used 60 grains fffg with a op card. cousion wad.80 grains #6 shot with os card. I walked into the woods with a smile on my face because it was my first hunt out. it was an hour till dark and i knew i would have to get one before long or not get one. As i stepped 10 yds in the woods i heard the set of teeth nawing away at a nut. I evn saw the pieces of nut falling. The squirrel was 25 yards so i knew my load was good up to 30 so i pulled up. I let that centermark trigger fly and Next i saw the squirrel falling to the ground. I was extremly happy. First hunt with new fowler. I got the squirrel and there were 2 bbs in the head and about 15 spread out around the rest of his body. I think squirrel hunting is a whole new game with a flintlock fowler.
1fowler.jpg

5.jpg

1-2.jpg

hope you enjoy ,

thomp shooter

Nice! :thumbsup: I've kind of hit a slump in squirrel hunting. I just haven't really wanted to go out there and hunt them lately. I'll probably have my hands full for most of this month anyway with dove and teal.

Its a satisfying feeling when the circle is complete...from the idea to deciding what to get, doing your homework reading / studying / planning, going through load development and practice...then finally the hunt...perfect !!

:thumbsup:

Back