• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradork

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally shot my first squirrel with a ML. Missed my first shot at 50 yards, but got a perfect head shot on the second at 20 yards. Squirrels are spooky this year, normally they are dumb until December, but they're hard to come by this year. 30 grains APP with a .15 spit patch. .32 didn't tear him up bad, less than a .17 HMR. Also got a skunk, but that's a different story. Totally hooked on ML hunting now.

Skunks??? Heard the taste like chicken! Ha Ha!

Congrats on your first..They are are special!
You realize your cf's will get lonely and only get oiled..
soon you will be doing research and start looking at longer barrels and funny looking locks that hold rocks!
Enjoy the ride..it's a grand one......dan

Already been looking into a rock lock. I have a traditions deer hunter in .32. Bought it as a learning BP gun. Already see what I would like in my next rifle. Longer barrel, a lot better sights. It'll work for now, but a rock lock would be nice.
I've never ate a skunk, skinned a few trapping but quickly learned they make great yote bait instead.

Spikebuck said:
Congratulations!
Alright...I know it's coming...someone here has or does eat skunk. Let's hear it!

Did once and there's no way I'd call it chicken! If you ever try it, skin VERY CAREFULLY!!!!!

A good feeling, congratulations...this is probably just the beginning of a whole new level of satisfaction from hunting.
I've come to enjoy squirrel hunting with Flintlocks, using a .40cal rifle and a 28ga smoothbore.
The bad news is my squirrel season runs concurrently with deer season and I can't let go of deer hunting in favor of squirrels.
So I squirrel hunt a few times in January & February but by then they're more scarce, trees are bare, and see me coming a mile away.

Atta boy! Deer hunting is one thing, but nothing tickles the non-BP crowd more than when you tell them you hunt squirrels with your BP rifle! :thumbsup:

Wes/Tex said:
Spikebuck said:
Congratulations!
Alright...I know it's coming...someone here has or does eat skunk. Let's hear it!

Did once and there's no way I'd call it chicken! If you ever try it, skin VERY CAREFULLY!!!!!
Hell I got a skunk hat and its still smells !!

I had a nurse who worked for me who showed German Wirehair dogs. She would take them out and let them run and they would occasionally chase down a skunk and pay the price. I asked he how she got the smell out of their hair so she could put them back in the kennel at home or take them to a show. She told me that she just washed them with dog shampoo and then rinsed them with Massengill douche powder. She swore that the Massengill took out all of the stink. You might try washing your skunk skin in Massengill and see if it works for you.

I love hunting squirrel with MLs. Did it for years with my .32 Crockett and it worked perfectly. Since getting my .36 flint SMR a few years ago, the Crockett is now semi retired.

Billnpatti said:
I had a nurse who worked for me who showed German Wirehair dogs. She would take them out and let them run and they would occasionally chase down a skunk and pay the price. I asked he how she got the smell out of their hair so she could put them back in the kennel at home or take them to a show. She told me that she just washed them with dog shampoo and then rinsed them with Massengill douche powder. She swore that the Massengill took out all of the stink. You might try washing your skunk skin in Massengill and see if it works for you.

Ironically, I can personally attest that Massengill takes the skunk smell off of wirehairs.

Congratulations. Some of my fondest memories are when I squirrel hunted as a boy. I still enjoy today and using blackpowder weapons takes it to another level. Fried squirrel after a successful hunt ain't bad either.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back