• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First squirrels. ..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter LeRay

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My first squirrels with my 20ga fusil i just built. ...
20140922_114020_zpsfdrhcuzl.jpg
2014-10-01%2003.24.02_zpsskcruclp.jpg

Nicely done! What a special feeling it is when you do what you did. :hatsoff:

Good job Peter, :thumbsup:
Hey that's a nice looking gun ya got there, any chance we could see a nice full broadside picture of it with a description?

Here ya go Clyde. It is a fusil de chasse in 20ga (generic term is a type D) with a 42"bbl. I handmade the thumbpiece and engraved it. Front site i made from a silver dime. Parts I got from Track.....
20140908_121351_zpsnajevq2c.jpg
20140908_121334_zpsuwp3j7sy.jpg

That's a very nice Fusil! :hatsoff: How hard was it to inlet the buttstock? looks very nice!.

It wasn't too bad. I had to do alot of heat and beat on it to get the initial shape of it. I took it slow inletting it so I didn't screw it up!

It looks very nice! I see you have Track's Double wedding band Oct.to Round barrel question, does the Octagon part taper into the round part? and how much does the barrel weigh? Track does say anything about this. No measurements of the barrel or weight is listed..

It does taper to the round. I took some more off as i shaped. It comes somewhat raw. I never weighed it but the fusil is nice and light.

Peter LeRay said:
It does taper to the round. I took some more off as i shaped. It comes somewhat raw. I never weighed it but the fusil is nice and light.

Thank you, Track is kinda loose in their description of it, I did see where they list the barrel weight as 4 1/4 lbs. (kinda heavy in my view). But It is nice to know that the Octagon part does have some taper to it, on some of the cheaper Smoothbores the Octagon part stays straight and then the round part tapers.

Hey no problem. For the length of 42", you won't really see too many lighter than this one.

Wow your first gun? You must have some woodwork in your past then! I really wanted a fusil, and seeing yours helps makes that want a need. My wife is going to be mad at you, sir.

Back