• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time black powder user

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zonie, the text of the Texas law here (46.01) is being GROSSLY misinterpreted. The law is not saying that antiques and replicas are not defined as firearms, it's saying antiques and replicas having features illegal to firearms in general under state law, are not subject to those prohibitions. It's a grandfather clause for pre-1899 weapon designs, not license to carry and use antique or replica firearms in lieu of modern weapons.

A good case to cite is Cantu v. State 802 S.W. 2d 1 (TX Appeals Ct). He made the argument, and lost.

For any Texas felons:

Sec. 46.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM. (a) A person who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if he possesses a firearm:

(1) after conviction and before the fifth anniversary of the person's release from confinement following conviction of the felony or the person's release from supervision under community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision, whichever date is later; or

(2) after the period described by Subdivision (1), at any location other than the premises at which the person lives.

(b) A person who has been convicted of an offense under Section 22.01, punishable as a Class A misdemeanor and involving a member of the person's family or household, commits an offense if the person possesses a firearm before the fifth anniversary of the later of:

(1) the date of the person's release from confinement following conviction of the misdemeanor; or

(2) the date of the person's release from community supervision following conviction of the misdemeanor.

A pardon is a possibility, but also look into the possibility of getting it expunged from your record. Not knowing the specifics, and not being a lawyer, I can't promise this is an option, but it may be worth asking about. After all, the worst they can say is "no". :hmm:

Thank you New Braunfels and all the others, all very good information that you provided. It looks as if I am going to need to go online or make a trip up your way to Cabelas to get a lot of the stuff I need. The powder and primers I can find locally here in the Houston area.
thank you very much again,

Good luck. You might also want to go to the website called "Track of the Wolf". Quite a selection of things that will get you excited.

Latest posts

Back