• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time Deer hunting in Ohio need help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My buddy from my guard unit wants to go deer hunting with me. I'm planning on using my T/C Renegade 50 cal, but I haven't ever gone hunting before. I know the basics of dressing right for the weather and what not.

I want to know about buying a license. What the different from the license/Tag?

Do i need to take that class they are talking about here http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-trapping-and-shooting-sports/hunting-and-trapping-basics or is that for younger people? I have looked over the Study guide and it mostly how not to shoot your foot off. I'm going to take it but i really don't need another class about firearms safety. Between the Army and growing up with guns i think I'm safe with them.

Also any advice is welcome as I'm trying to learn everything.

I can not speak to Ohio per say, but most states require you to have passed a hunter safety course, and most recognize other states courses. :idunno: so it seems a good idea to get that done.

I could not tell if either of you had hunting experience from your post. If not I would highly recommend trying to find someone to tag along with. Maybe someone in your unit has a dad or uncle, the reason being there are different ways to hunt deer, if you go spot and stock in an area where most folks stand hunt. You may spend all day busting up other peoples carefully set up hunts :( There is a social aspect to big game woods, nothing hard and fast but when I was your age I stepped on a few toes by not knowing this. And the toe you step on today, might be the land owner that would have let you hunt his place tomorrow. Other questions ask away. :grin:

Welcome to the forum, and getting as much info as possible is a good start - read and reread the ODNR online info pertaining to hunting.

You want to buy the either sex permit, the antlerless permit is only good thru November 29, and the gun season starts 30 November. You can use your T-C during the regular gun season (30 Nov - 6 Dec), the extended 28 & 29 Dec gun days, and the muzzleloader season 9-12 January 2016.

I think, as Sean mentions above, that Ohio will recognized a hunter safety course from another state, but the Ohio course makes sense to take if you are a new hunter here - it covers much more than firearms safety, allowable hunting hours, game ID, allowable methods, the course is worth your time.

My experience is that my marksmanship ability is cut in half when I am hunting deer, by that I mean if I can hold, at the range, offhand at 50 yards a 3 inch group with my rifle; at best I will hold a 6 inch group when I get a deer in my sights. Consider spending some time on the range with your rifle shooting it as your will when hunting, not all off the bench. Learn what you and your rifle can do at different ranges.

Ohio has a lot of different environments - some areas are wide open and flat, others thick with brush, others mature woods - in my opinion you probably want to spend some time scouting the area you are going to hunt, learn the deer trails, where there is water, what they are eating, etc., now if you want to increase your chances of tagging a deer.

If you manage to tag one, or more, have a place lined up to process it. Most deer processors around here charge $70 - $90. You will need to be able to field clean it/gut it, not a big deal unless you have never done it. Many of us process our own deer, but I would not recommend that to a new hunter unless you have someone there to show you how.

I have the impression you have never hunted before, my apologies if I am wrong, but you may want to consider taking up small game hunting first, you can learn a lot about hunting in general when hunting squirrels and rabbits - my opinion, for what it's worth.

Ask any specific questions and feel free to PM me if you want, and good hunting to you.

I would take your class this Saturday, but uncle Sam has me this weekend lol. I'm going with the home study one as it's fit better with my work/ college life. Thanks for answering my questions. If i can think of anything else ill surely be in touch, again thanks for the help.

Will has good points. Listen to him.

And if you want to have a good fun hunt....rabbits! Rabbit hunting is fun, for me, the deeper and tougher the scrub, the better. I have been on my hands and knees, stalking rabbits, while creeping through the crud, and taking shots no further than 15 yards that were much harder to make than longer range shots in the open. A pistol is best for that craziness...

Study up on deer anatomy. Things in them are not in the same exact spot as they are in us.

Head or neck shot (occipital), don't mess up the meat ! drops them right now and they prefer to run down hill so you won't have to drag them back up hill either :v

Latest posts

Back