• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time Elk ML hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used an aluminum pack frame with a large bag attached. The frame helps keep the weight higher and distributes it better. I went bear hunting with a guy my size (5'7", 155 lbs) and he carried out a 106 lb. load of bear hide and meat on a small pack frame. 7 1/2 miles one way in the Cascades of Wash. Frames make a big difference!

It's hard to explain how to do it. BUT with a decent pair of binoculars you can stand in thick woods and focus on a spot say 20 yds away. with the binos still to your eyes slowly rotate the focus (the middle knob) and walk your focus point into the woods. You will be able to see maybe a couple hundred yards or maybe 50 yds according to how thick the brush is. Its hard to believe but I have been doing it for years. Some times I can see 25 yards because of the brush with my eyes but 1 or 2 hundred yds with the binos. Prob just confused you but it really does work :) Larry

marmotslayer said:
For cripes sake! Now we gotta start bathing in cold water too. Think I'll just be happy to stink!😃

I thought that might be controversial. Here is more controversy: If I do not draw my 1st choice ML tag and wind up with a general rifle season tag I will use a centerfire scoped rifle. I am not that good of a hunter that I can tie one hand behind my back. And of course eating elk is what its all about.

But no worries here, I drew 3 ML tags. elk,deer and pronghorn all anterless. :grin:

Get some good 8x power or so binoculars. Quality binoculars do not give your headaches when looking through them. Also quality bincoulars don't have the coke bottleness to them at the edge lenses.

Above 8x, almost any binocular could give you a headache. you unsteadiness will make you dizzy after awhile.

Bird watchers are true experts on bincoulars, I used their opinion on various forums to determine what I purchased and was very glad I did.

IF on a budget pick up a used pair of Nikon action EX 7x35, or 7x35 Nikon naturalist II to IV binoculars. Definitely poro prisms. The ones where the binos make 2 right angle bends out. Straight bore binoculars are a real feat of science. From memory, they call them roof prism It takes some spectacular optics to make those straight through ones match the quality of poro prism type binos.

High power is to count horns. 7 or 8x is to locate things with a decent blend of speed and accuracy. Also, the wider field of view of lower power gives you more time to notice things moving. Will will notice movement of a different colored object than the color itself. Lower power just gives you that extra second to notice it.

Cabelas Alaskan frame pack is a really good one. Atleast the one I bought in 2010 is.

Scent concealment. I air out my clothes to slim down the scent. Try not to get too sweaty. The layers work great here. Peel a layer when climbing up a hill. Put a layer back on walking on flat ground or sitting.

Scent comes from three main sources likely in this order. Your skin, your breath, and to a lesser extent unnatural things you bring in.

I use the odor neutralizer body wash and primos deodorant. I even put a touch of deodorant on the heel of my feet.

A good source of scent comes from the sweat / oil on your head and hands. Wash them when you can.

If you have to reuse outter layers, let them air out over night. Atleast replace under layers. I use a boot dryer every night. Mine has both a small blower and or heating element. No need to over cook them, just enough to remove sweat and some scent.

Before hunting, I do wash my clothes in hunter's wash or as little regular detergent as needed. Regular detergent has UV brighteners. Alteast use the cheap washing detergent if no hunter's stuff is available. Good stuff like tide has UV brighteners.

Wash your hunting sock and undies separately. Otherwise, your just mixing in smell. I rinse out my hunting socks and lightly handwash them in a touch of soap before putting in the wash to get rid of the smell mixing.

I put my hunting clothes in a clear plastic bag after it's washed and dried. Putting some fresh pine branches in there may not hurt.

When possible, brush your teeth after eating. Then brush your teeth a bit with just water to get rid of the toothbrush smell. This bit has made me significantly more scent free far as whitetail bow hunting is concerned.

If your feet hurt, put fresh socks on. It helps a lot.

Patocazador said:
And after doing all of the above, if you get upwind of the elk, he is gone! :grin:

Your exactly right!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Back