• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time out with my Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You lucky duck!! You got some really nice looking stuff with that really fine looking rifle. Dang! Some folks have all the luck. :hatsoff:

Billnpatti said:
You lucky duck!! You got some really nice looking stuff with that really fine looking rifle. Dang! Some folks have all the luck. :hatsoff:

It has been my very fortunate, lucky year. Makes up for all those less lucky ones.
These rifles are in my possession due to a banjo that I won in a drawing!! Now, that is lucky given the thousands of entries.
Yup, a banjo. It is a professional grade 5-string banjo offered on a banjo forum (Banjo Hangout). It was nice enough that I sold another banjo I had because now it was just sitting around in its case. That sale gave me enough $$ to start looking for muzzleloaders.
It sure has been a good year! :applause:

Ron

Ron,
When you're riding a horse, there is a moment when you realise that you are about to fall off. Of course, that moment comes a moment too late and you are already under the effects of gravity...all that is left is the thud and the cloud of dust.

You have just passed the point of recognizing that it is too late...

That puts you in the same league with the rest of us reprobates. :grin:

You have some fine equipment there and it sounds like you have a local support group so we look forward to more posts and pictures - lotsa' pictures!!

TGJaeger,
When I arrived home after shooting the flintlock, my wife, in her astute, observant fashion, saw the glint in my eye and the grin on my face and remarked that it looked like I picked up another hobby. Seems like she can really read me after only 43 years of practice. :)
I don't know the Ft. Lupton Muzzleloader fellows well yet. One visit to their range at the restored fort really didn't give any of us a chance to talk much during the fun competition. One gentleman, though, went out of his way to show me the correct (or one of the correct) ways to load, shoot and clean. Everyone was pleasant and tolerant of my questions.
I am a history buff and getting involved with the traditional muzzleloaders really feeds my need for a sense of "tactile" and "palpable" history. I get a thrill out of holding an old battle rifle and letting my mind run rampant with wonder about the history I have in my hands.
Maybe I am under the horse at the moment!
4sgi.jpg

or
ijaw.jpg

Ron

RonRC said:

And that's the reason I gave up that daft sport. Anytime you ride bucking horses and find yourself in the shade, you're in big trouble b'wana!!

Tex,
You gotta' give that rider style points on his dismount. I mean his feet are nice and even and the spurs are way up over his hips. You can see that he held his body rigid and lead with his face right up to point of impact. Good daylight between him and his partner.
I'd give him a real strong 9.5!!
:applause: :applause:

How does it go?

"I turns over twice
and I comes back to earth.
I lights into cussin'
the day of his birth...." :rotf:

I never won a buckle playing like that but I never broke a bone either. Think I came out ahead!

You definitely have been bitten by the bug. Those suppository rifles, the Mauser and SMLE I see in the background will now become dust collectors. I built and compete in NMLRA territorial matches with a rifle identical to the one you just started shooting. I've shot my Garand once in the last three years.
Welcome, friend, to the august fraternity of the rock lock. It sounds as if you are off to a great start. Attending organized shoots is the fastest way to learn. Watch how the experienced shooters load and shoot and don't be afraid to ask questions. I learned more about shooting flintlocks at the first two organized shoots I attended, than in the prior 15 years I spent fooling around with flintlocks on my own.
Have fun and stray not from the path of blackpowder righteousness.

I haven't even thought about my WW I and II battle rifles since shooting the flintlock. They do look a little lonely and forlorn.
When you say that you have a flintlock identical to mine, is it from the same builder? I have been trying to identify the source of my rifle.
Thanks,
Ron

RonRC said:
TGJaeger,
When I arrived home after shooting the flintlock, my wife, in her astute, observant fashion, saw the glint in my eye and the grin on my face and remarked that it looked like I picked up another hobby. Seems like she can really read me after only 43 years of practice. :)
I don't know the Ft. Lupton Muzzleloader fellows well yet. One visit to their range at the restored fort really didn't give any of us a chance to talk much during the fun competition. One gentleman, though, went out of his way to show me the correct (or one of the correct) ways to load, shoot and clean. Everyone was pleasant and tolerant of my questions.
I am a history buff and getting involved with the traditional muzzleloaders really feeds my need for a sense of "tactile" and "palpable" history. I get a thrill out of holding an old battle rifle and letting my mind run rampant with wonder about the history I have in my hands.
Maybe I am under the horse at the moment!

ijaw.jpg

Ron

It would be a lot fun to ask the cowboy, the one with his face buried in the dirt, how the corral dirt tasted. :barf: :)

Bill

The impact temporarily distroys the taste buds, just like the kill shot on a deer erases the recoil memory. :grin: Been there!!

I used my very nice M1, bayonet/scabbard/sling and a couple hundred rounds of ball ammo as partial payment for my Lancaster. Best deal I've ever made. baxter

ijaw.jpg

Horse For Sale
Nice grade gelding for sale, green broke, just needs finishing touches, gentle but spirited, great conformation, great starter horse, cheap.
Busted Ass Ranch
Ask for Gimpy :rotf:

Haven't met many geldings with that kind of 'pleasant' disposition...ain't saying it never happened, just didn't around Alvin!! :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back