• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time out with Sea Service Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received my pistol from Loyalist Arms today and took it out a few hours later to shoot. I'm lucky to have an empty field about a half mile through the woods from my house.

This was my first time shooting a gun with no sights on it, and I can see it is somthing to get use to. After about 5 shots, I finally hit a 15x20 inch target at about 35 feet. One thing I like about the .60 caliber is that you can easily see where you hit from that distance.

I've got a couple questions after my first time out with it.

1. Compared to the Traditions Kentucky Rifle I had this gun's lock is 5 times harder to pull back, and the trigger is twice as hard to pull. Just making sure, these pistols have stiff locks?

2. Any tips on cleaning a barrel without a removable touch hole? Seemed more difficult to me seeing as how you can not rush soapy water though it like I could on the rifle.

Thanks

; The pistol's barrel goes into the water just as the rifle's does and water is pumped up and down, just the same- Take your time - it won't run as quickly as a 1/4" hole, but works just fine in a 1/16' hole.

Alright, thanks.

A couple more questions:

What does the G.R. underneath the crown on the lock stand for? And what does the EDGE printed above the 1739 mean?

1. All military weapons seem to have a stronger main spring, I think they're made that way to last during extended battles and such, it sounds normal and will loosen up a bit with time...

2. I would clean it with the touch hole pointing straight down if the barrel is not removed, this way any water won't drain down between the wood and barrel as much... (remove the lock first)

Alright, thanks.

A couple more questions:

What does the G.R. underneath the crown on the lock stand for? And what does the EDGE printed above the 1739 mean?

The typical markings of a crown above "GR" represents: (King George I-III)
I'm guessing the "EDGE" represents a gun maker, like "TOWER" and "GRICE", then the date...

To be exact, the "GR" cypher stands "George Rex," which translated from latin means "George is King." The crown shows that it's property of the King, as opposed to a broad arrow, which meant government property (and still does). But, everything in England was, pretty much. :m2c: It's a neat pistol, a real "proper people stopper!"

Back